UKSkydiver's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks a lovely pint from where I'm sitting. I think trad Scottish ale's were more lightly hopped than English and more fizzy.
Thank you - kind of you to say.
That post was from nearly 12 months ago, so those are long gone, but still one of my better, earlier brews and my mate next door liked it, so something I should try again now that I've changed / improved things a bit 👍🏻

Thank you - kind of you to say.
That post was from nearly 12 months ago, so those are long gone, but still one of my better, earlier brews and my mate next door liked it, so something I should try again now that I've changed / improved things a bit 👍🏻
Ha. Should have looked at the date. Have you tried it again?
I think you had a go a Pelforth Brune with a saison yeast. Just looked it up and it uses two barley malts and top-fermenting English ale yeast. Apparently. Bière Pelforth brune

I think you had a go a Pelforth Brune with a saison yeast. Just looked it up and it uses two barley malts and top-fermenting English ale yeast. Apparently. Bière Pelforth brune
I did and it was a disaster (well - I thought it was) A poor choice of yeast. That'll teach me for having a bit of a light bulb moment.
I need to try that again. (thanks for the link). So many beers, so little time.

Brewed this yesterday:

AG#16 Oxfordshire Doppelbock

BrewZilla 35L - 15LitreBatch

70% efficiency
Batch Volume: 15 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 23.16 L
Total Water: 23.16 L
Boil Volume: 19.17 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1064

Vitals
ABV 7.4%
Original Gravity: 1074
Final Gravity: 1018
IBU (Tinseth): 20
BU/GU: 0.27
Colour: 51.5 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 67 °C45 min

Malts (5.29 kg)
3 kg (56.7%) — Crisp Dark Munich Malt — Grain — 44 EBC
2 kg (37.8%) — Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner — Grain — 4 EBC
210 g (4%) — Crisp Extra Light Crystal 100 — Grain — 110 EBC
80 g (1.5%) — Crisp Chocolate Malt — Grain — 1045 EBC

Hops (33 g)
11 g (15 IBU) — Northern Brewer 9.5% — Boil — 60 min
22 g
(5 IBU) — Hersbrucker 2.75% — Boil — 20 min

Yeast
2000 ml — Mangrove Jack's M54 California Lager 76.5%

Fermentation
Primary — 16 °C14

Pretty straight forward brewday, notwithstanding my concerns about fannying about with yeast starters
Lovely ruby colour.
After adding the yeast starter, the OG was down a bit but not too worried as I've ended up with more wort.

Disasters (or at least things that did ont go well):

I checked the water profile and no additions were needed, except I completely forgot to add campden to the strike water, oh well.

At the end of the boil I put the lid on to stop nasties getting in whilst I went to get some brekkie.
About five mins later I popped back in to the garage to find steam everywhere.

20210405_110942.jpg

Must remember to actually turn the boiler off at the end if the boil. Idiot.
I just caught it in time and no harm done, only lost about a litre.
Could have been much worse.

AG#15 Oxfordshire Oatmeal Stout - Update
Been drinking this for a week or so. I do like being able to carb in the keg over a couple of days. Much faster than waiting for bottle carbing.
Choc or coffee on the nose. I would need one in front of me to know for sure. A little bitterness from the roast. Lovely.
Not as smooth on the mouhfeel as I'd expected from an oatmeal stout.
I'd like the carb to last longer. I may need to up the volumes, but it's all new territory at present.
(Pic later?)

AG#16 Oxfordshire Doppelbock - Update
Seven days in the fermenter and all but finished as far as I can tell. Gravities are down.
OG was 1064 down from an expected 1074
Current SG is about 1022 giving me @ 5.5% which is a bit disappointing for a Doppelbock
It might taste ok though

Today's brew is again from the Greg Hughes bible.

Ruby Mild
Dark Mild

BrewZilla 35L - 16 Litre Batch

70% efficiency
Batch Volume: 16 L
Mash Water: 22.6 L
Total Water: 22.6 L
Boil Volume: 20.21 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1043

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1049
Final Gravity: 1012
ABV: 4.9%
IBU (Tinseth): 19
BU/GU: 0.39
Colour: 38 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 67 °C60 min

Malts (3.55 kg)
2 kg (56.3%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt, Maris Otter — Grain — 4 EBC
1.2 kg (33.8%) — Crisp Clear Choice Malt ® Ale — Grain — 5.9 EBC
120 g (3.4%) — Chocolate Malt — Grain — 1045 EBC
120 g (3.4%) — Crystal Dark — Grain — 240 EBC
110 g (3.1%) — Torrified Wheat — Grain — 3.9 EBC

Hops (32.5 g)
20 g (17 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 70 min
12.5 g
(2 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand

Hopstand at 80 °C (actually 86c as I couldn't wait any longer)

Miscs
1 items — Protafloc — Boil15 min

Yeast
0.8 pkg — CML Beoir 75%

Fermentation
Primary — 19 °C14

Other than the yeast, I had everything else in, which makes a change. Super fast brew day. Prepped the night before and set the heater to come on early doors so I was able to complete the mash before going to the gym. Then got back to start the boil. All done an cleaned up by 14:00. It looks like I hit all my numbers, certainly within a point.

Not as dark as the West Midlands Mild I'm used to, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Nice, simple, fast brew day. Oh - I did drop a spring camp in the boil. I will fish that out later.

Not brewed for a while.... (wow, a full three months) I have had the Doppelbock and Ruby Mild on for a while, plus I've been throwing myself at the planet now the weather has improved (I am fair weather only these days)

And so on to today's brew

I enjoyed AG #13 Milk Stout so much I thought I'd try another. This time with all sorts of random stuff subbed and thrown in. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts if you think I've completely ballsed something up.

On to the meat of the post, as it were...

AG#18 Oxfordshire Milk Stout

BrewZilla 35L
70% efficiency
Batch Volume: 14 L
Boil Time: 40 min
Mash Water: 20.54 L
Total Water: 20.54 L
Boil Volume: 17.46 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1059

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1074
Final Gravity: 1022
ABV: 6.8%
BU (Tinseth): 29
BU/GU: 0.40
Colour: 84 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 68 °C40 min

Malts (4.2 kg)
3 kg (68.2%) — Maris Otter Pale Malt, Maris Otter — Grain — 4 EBC
500 g (11.4%) — Weyermann Wheat Malt Pale — Grain — 3.9 EBC
200 g (4.6%) — Oats, Flaked — Grain — 2 EBC
150 g (3.4%) — Muntons Black Malt — Grain — 1035 EBC
150 g (3.4%) — Crisp Chocolate Malt — Grain — 1045 EBC
100 g (2.3%) — Muntons Caramalt Malt — Grain — 26 EBC
100 g (2.3%) — Crisp Roasted Barley — Grain — 1200 EBC

Other (380 g)
200 g (4.6%) — Brown Sugar, Dark — Sugar — 98.5 EBC
180 g — Milk Sugar (Lactose) — Sugar — 0 EBC — Boil

Hops (29 g)
20 g (26 IBU) — Northern Brewer 9.5% — Boil — 40 min
9 g
(4 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 15 min

Yeast
1 pkg — CML Four 73% ** See question below please **

Mashed in a little high - or at least it didnt cool down as much as I expected. Hit my volumes ok, but the efficiency is slightly down resulting in a OG of 1068 and an expected ABV of 6.3%

Other stuff: - pretty lacksadaisical (which apparently is the wrong spelling and pronunciation, but that's how I say it) brew day. I could not be bothered to do a 'proper' water schedule, I did not check what profie I should be after and instead, stuck a bit of campden, the usual amounf of CRS and a smidge of CaCl in last night. I'm sure it will be somewhere in the ball park.

Set the timer for the morning and mashed in at about 08:00. Pretty uneventful brewday except the clean down is still far too long. To try and remedy this, I decided to use a BIAB in the BrewZilla instead of the malt pipe. Certainly less to clean, but it's not as easy to allow it to drain. More to do here.

I recently bought some ChemSan in a bid to try and change something to improve the brews. I know I have hard water and (having read about this somewhere) I added some CRS to try and make it less hard (or for it to have less alkalinity). The result is still a cloudy mixture. I will create a separate post (or bolt on to another thread if I can find it)

If anyone can be arsed to read this far, last time I did the Milk Stout, I chucked in half a packet of MJ Empire (M15) and half a packet of S04. I have a few packets of dry yeast in so I wondered if anyone has a better plan rather than use S-04 (CML Four)

Currently in stock I have:
CML Four
CML Beior
CML Hog Norsk
CML The Firm
(plus some other lager and a CML Monk)

Wort currently cooling so with any luck I can pitch later this evening so if anyone has any bright ideas as to what might yeast would give this a certain je ne sais quoi, then please do chime in.

Cheers

A few thoughts I can add, though it won't change anything for this brew...

I'm increasingly of the opinion that yeast is probably the most important ingredient in your brew. So I think yeast selection really matters.

I think there are much more interesting yeasts or there than S-04/CML Four.

Others will disagree (and some will also agree) but I was consistently underwhelmed by CML's yeasts. I like the way they roll, and I'll continue to use them for hops, but I'm looking elsewhere now for yeast.

I've had good success in my American stout with BRY-97, but that style is more hoppy.

In my Porter I've found both MJ M36 and WY1318 have yielded very different but equally good results.

I plan to culture up some yeast from a bottle of Fuller's 1845 to try in a Porter soon. The are probably other liquid strains worth a look.

I haven't tried Lallemand Verdant IPA in a dark beer yet (others might have), but when I tried it in an Amber Ale vs. 1318 I couldn't tell them apart.

If you want to stick to dry yeast then M36 would be my go to. I'd certainly try Lallemand Verdant IPA too, I just can't comment yet from experience.

Hi Matt
Thanks for your thoughts.

I really wanted to try The Firm (which I understand to be same / similar to WIndsor) but when I read the specs and reviews, some say it doesn't attenuate as well as others . . . . Seeing as this mashed at the higher end and has lactose in there, I didn't want it overly sweet (that said I had a Tiny Rebel Pump Up The Jam last night in the pub - very jammy) So in the end I went with CML Beoir.

Cheers

To be fair, Beoir is the one CML yeast I tried that I thought was pretty decent (that's a bit harsh - part of the issue was more like inconsistency or unpredictable or erratic behaviour)

I think I did a split batch ESB with it and found it accentuated the maltiness. So on that basis I then tried it in a Porter which worked well, so probably a good choice for your Milk Stout 👍

The reason I personally wouldn't use it again is I think there are more versatile yeasts out there and I'm trying to narrow down to the minimum number of go-to strains.

I've thing I can certainly recommend though it's doing some split batches to compare strains - even taking two English strains that you'd think would be quite similar it's really amazing just how different the results can be.

Decided upon a Leffe Brune clone, based on a recipe previously posted by @Cheshire Cat - with thanks.

AG#19 Leffe Brune
Belgian Dubbel

BrewZilla 35L - 14LitreBatch
70% efficiency
Batch Volume: 14 L
Boil Time: 50 min
Mash Water: 20.56 L
Total Water: 20.56 L
Boil Volume: 17.71 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1052

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1067
Final Gravity: 1013
IBU (Tinseth): 24
BU/GU: 0.36
Colour: 40.5 EBC
ABV 7.1% / 16.3 °P

Mash
Temperature — 68 °C45 min

Malts (3.956 kg)
2.4 kg (56.1%) — Crisp Vienna Malt — Grain — 7.8 EBC
680 g (15.9%) — Crisp Dark Munich Malt — Grain — 44 EBC
450 g (10.5%) — Simpsons Aromatic Malt — Grain — 60 EBC
226 g (5.3%) — Amber Malt — Grain — 60 EBC
200 g (4.7%) — Dingemans Special B — Grain — 290 EBC

Other (320 g)
160 g (3.7%) — Invert Sugar, Dark — Sugar
160 g (3.7%) — Lyle's Golden Syrup — Liquid Extract — 0 EBC

Hops (41.8 g)
10 g (16 IBU) — Northern Brewer 9.5% — Boil — 60 min
15.9 g
(7 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 15 min
15.9 g
(2 IBU) — Saaz 3.4% 3.4% — Boil — 5 min

Yeast
1 pkg — Mangrove Jack's M47 Belgian Abbey 76%

Fermentation
Primary — 19 °C14

Notes:
I subbed a few of the grains with stuff I had in stock that was similar and needed to be used up. I subbed thte brown sugar with some invert I had left over from last year's Forum Christmas Stout. Not used M47 before so will be interesting to see how that turns out.

I dont like using bottled water, but in trying to improve my brews I went with Avant, which was on offer at Tesco. This also has the lowest bicarbonate value at 122. I used 5ml CRS to reduce this to about 70ppm. Brewfather also advised adding a bit of gypsum, CaCl and salt (plus the standard pinch of campden). Oh - and I've never measured pH before, but I had some cheap pH paper and the mash was certainly in the pH5 ball park. 👍🏻

Fairly straight forward brew day, transferred hot to the FV and left overnight to cool. Ended up with 16 litres in FV as I sparged a little. Rehydrated the yeast an pitched this morning.

Follow fermentation progress here: Brewfather

Edit to add: My interest was piqued and I've found out that Avant water comes from Camlica, Turkey. A fair amount of air (or road or sea) miles on that that then. When you consider how much bottled water is sourced in the UK, it is a surprise that there is a need to bring anything in from anywhere outside of the UK.

Last edited:
Whilst not as prolific as many here, got round to brewing this, my 20th all grain brew, last weekend after some comments from a few people

Phoni Gran Replica AG#20
Helles Bock

001 - BrewZilla 35L - 11LitreBatch
70%
efficiency
Batch Volume: 11.5 L
Boil Time: 30 min
Mash Water: 16.88 L
Total Water: 16.88 L
Boil Volume: 14.27 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1060

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1065
Final Gravity: 1011
IBU (Tinseth): 25
BU/GU: 0.38
Colour: 23 EBC
ABV: 7.1% /

Mash
Temperature — 65 °C45 min

Malts (3.537 kg)
2.6 kg
(73.5%) — Crisp Vienna Malt — Grain — 7.8 EBC
441 g (12.5%) — Crisp Dark Munich Malt — Grain — 44 EBC
276 g (7.8%) — Muntons Caramalt Malt — Grain — 26 EBC
220 g (6.2%) — Simpsons Aromatic Malt — Grain — 60 EBC

Hops (36 g)
8 g
(5 IBU) — Celeia 4.2% — First Wort
14 g (19 IBU) — Northern Brewer 9.5% — Boil — 30 min
8 g
(1 IBU) — Saaz 3.4% 3.4% — Boil — 5 min
6 g
— Saaz 3.4% 3.4% — Boil — 0 min

Miscs
3.3 ml
— CRS/AMS — Mash
0.2 g
— Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
1.6 g
— Canning Salt (NaCl) — Mash
1 items
— Protafloc — Boil10 min
4 g
— Yeast Nutrients — Boil5 min

Yeast
1 pkg
— Fermentis W-34/70 Saflager Lager 83%

Fermentation
Primary — 12 °C14

Water Profile

Ca2+ 58
Mg2+ 2
Na+ 50
Cl- 98
SO42- 67
HCO3- 99

Thoughts / Justifications / Ramblings:
Malt: This was the grain I had left over from something else and research led me to belive that using a high percentage of Vienna was not a problem. I like a maltier brew, so that along with the dark munich was not a cause for concern.

Hops. I'm not a hop fan. They all smell and taste the same to me. So I just chucked any old bittering hop in and went with saaz for style.

Water. I used Sainso's Castle Spring bottled water. Becasue I failed to spot the water composition was for 100ml, it wasn't as low in bicarbonate as I had thought, but I'm sure it wont hurt. Added some CRS to bring that down and seemd to be close to the water profile for a helles bock.

Yeast. Went with @matt76 's recommendation of 34/70 instead of CML Helles. Made a starter and overbuilt the yeast. I split the packet putting one half on a stir plate and conical, the other half using
SNS in a plastic bottle, My calcs tell me I pitched about 400bn cells and overbuilt 150bn cells (which will be another question to you all)

My pre boil gravity was 10 points down, only reaching 1050, so I boiled a little longer than planned, meaning I was about 0.5litre short. Sample tasted more bitter than I would have liked, I assume down to extra boil off, but only appears to have gone from 25 to 29 IBUs.

Fermentation. I pitched the yeast after cooling to as close to 12 degrees as I could manage and then stuck it in the fridge. Took 12 hours to get a krausen, but very little in the way of actual fermentation until +24 hours later. Slow but steady progress through the week. In the meantime I read a few Brulosophy articles essentially saying that you can safely ferment lager at ale temps. Maybe next time. Been ramping the temmp up and it appears to have stopped at about 1018 (although this is the ispindel's view of the world) Will take a real gravity reading later this week.

Looking forward to this one.

AG#18 Oxfordshire Milk Stout - UPDATE

I've been drinking this for a couple of weeks on and off.

I think I have acetaldehyde. Not aware I've tasted it before, but it does taste apple-y.

I think its only in the kegged beers. I've had one from the bottle and it was either not present or very much reduced.

Research leads me to belive that causes are; not letting the yeast finish or sanitation

You can see the brew and fermentation details here:

It was fermented (full packet of Beior) about 19c and upped at the end to 21c-ish for a full two weeks. It finished only two points higher than expected at 1022.

I would say my cleaning is 'good' if not 'very good'. Certainly not lab standard.

It's been in the keg for about a month.

I read that maybe moving the keg to ~22c room temp for a few days might help.

Anyone got any ideas / experience?

Thanks

With thanks to @An Ankoù for his recipe, which I have shamelessly copied.

AG#21 AnAnk's Dark Malt Hefeweizen -
Follow progress here

5.1% / 13.3 °P
All Grain

BrewZilla 35L
70%
efficiency
Batch Volume: 19 L
Mash Water: 26.7 L
Total Water: 26.7 L
Boil Volume: 23.33 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1048

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1054
Final Gravity: 1015
IBU (Tinseth): 15
BU/GU: 0.28
Colour: 13.6 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 65 °C40 min

Malts (4.78 kg)
2.5 kg
(52.3%) — Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt — Grain — 13.8 EBC
2 kg (41.8%) — Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner — Grain — 4 EBC
280 g (5.9%) — Weyermann Wheat Malt Pale — Grain — 3.9 EBC

Hops (43 g)
15 g
(6 IBU) — Hersbrucker 2.75% — First Wort

15g (6 IBU) — Hersbrucker 2.75% — Boil - 60 min
13 g (3 IBU) — Saaz 3.4% 3.4% — Boil — 20 min

Miscs
5 ml
— CRS/AMS — Mash

1 tablet - Protofloc - Boil

Yeast
1 pkg
— Lallemand (LalBrew) Munich Classic 72%

Fermentation
Primary — 19 °C14 days
Carbonation: 2.7 CO2-vol

Notes:
I had some non-dark wheat that I had left over from something so i chucked that in. I did over do it with the strike water temp and ended up having to mash at 67-68 for 20 mins. I split the FWH 50:50, to FHW and 60 mins boil. I read something and it made sense. I'm sure with such low IBUs it won't make a lot of difference.

Left to cool naturally overnight to pitch this morning. Brewfather's yeast calc reckoned to use 1.3 packets, but there are a couple of things I've read that say to underpitch by about a third to get a 'better' balance of flavours (less 'nana and more clove). So this was pitched at about 75% as I didnt really want to be messing about getting down to 66%. I did, however, elect not to not aerate but i did rehydrate. Who knows if any of this micro-fannying about makes any difference?

Numbers were down on planned, with an OG of 1050, but I ended up with an extra half a litre of so in the FV. Not that it matters, I brewed beer.

Last edited:
@UKSkydiver , you've brewed it now but for future reference, this article has everything you need to know about making German wheat beers, written by Germans (but translated into English!).

Two remaining things you may still have the opportunity to play with are:
- Closed / open fermentation
- Fermentation temperature

Both influence the balance of clovey-balanced-bananarey. E.g. for my recent Hefeweizen I started cool and let it free rise, plus I also fermented open to push it towards banana.

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out. I've been known to enjoy a Dunkelweizen from time to time, plus I'm curious about the yeast - I considered using that one but in the end went for a liquid strain which seemed a more certain bet.

And FWIW, I can't see how "1.3 packs" is gonna make a difference - for that volume and OG I think it's just have gone 1 pack as I believe you did.

But I'm not even gonna comment on the whole rehydrate or not thing 🤣🤣🤣

Hey - I did scan that article last time you posted and promptly forgot to revisit before brewing!

I will take a look and see if it tells me what I'm going to get at the end of it.

You are, of course, always welcome to a bottle swap if you want to check it out yourself.

Cheers

AG#17 - Ruby Mild - Update

I kegged this and finished it off ages ago, but I have a couple of bottles left.

PET Bottled. Undercarbed. Bottle has been reused. May have leaked? Nice brew. Toffee / caramel? Low hops. No off tastes. A bit flat but close to style? Nothing wrong with this. Would be happy with this in a pub.

I should add that I wasn't that happy at the time - A bit meh.

Not sure if this is being hyper self critical, not leaving it for long enough to condition or some fundamental difference between kegged and bottled beers.

Last edited:
Currently brewing : AG #22 - Chocolate Coffee stout

AG Chocolate Coffee stout
Stout
6.8%

68% efficiency
Batch Volume: 8 L
Boil Time: 40 min
Mash Water: 12.9 L
Total Water: 12.9 L
Boil Volume: 10.85 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1056
Vitals
ABV - 6.8%
Original Gravity: 1068
Final Gravity: 1016
IBU (Tinseth): 33
BU/GU: 0.49
Colour: 83.5 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 67 °C40 min

Malts (2.758 kg)
2.2 kg (79.8%) — Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner — Grain — 4 EBC
198 g (7.2%) — Oats, Flaked — Grain — 2 EBC
160 g (5.8%) — Muntons Crystal Dark — Grain — 240 EBC
150 g (5.4%) — Crisp Chocolate Malt — Grain — 1045 EBC
50 g (1.8%) — Crisp Roasted Barley — Grain — 1200 EBC

Hops (15.3 g)
12 g (31 IBU) — Northern Brewer 9.5% — First Wort
3.3 g (2 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 15 min

Yeast
1 pkg — CML Hog Norsk 77%

Fermentation
Primary — 25 °C14 days
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

Brewfather link here

Kinda woke up thinking I’d like to brew. We have some chocolate flavoured coffee that we’re not going to drink but I‘ve been thinking it will go well / ok cold brewed in a stout.

Had a look at the stock and reckoned I could guesstimate a reasonable stout to take the coffee. No pale malt so went with pilsner base. I’m sure it will be fine.

Both my kegs are full (maybe I need to buy more!) so I’m going old skool back to my BIAB and stock pot for a small batch which will be bottled.

Pretty quick brewday and makes me wonder why my first one took about double the time :D

I've read a few good reports about CML Hog Norsk and make me think I may be able to pitch sooner as I don't need to cool the wort down so much.

EDIT1: I have been fermenting at 23c and it's a monster. I have top cropped a load of yeast and its still producing more. It doesn't seem particularly quick, but that's maybe becasue my teeny tiny tube heater is struggling to get to 25c+ Note to self: maybe dont ferment hot on the coldest weekend of the year and do it when it's warm.

EDIT2: Chocolate / coffee addition: I'm going to put this here now in case I can't edit at the time. My notes say that on a previous (coffee porter brew) I added 30g coffee to 182ml water and added 128g (ml) to 4.2 litres. There was a hint and I like to taste it, so I'm probably going to up that to 50g in 200ml, and this should be ~9 litres so I will double that.

Coffee:
20211201_081010.jpg

Last edited:
AG#17 - Ruby Mild - Update

I kegged this and finished it off ages ago, but I have a couple of bottles left.

PET Bottled. Undercarbed. Bottle has been reused. May have leaked? Nice brew. Toffee / caramel? Low hops. No off tastes. A bit flat but close to style? Nothing wrong with this. Would be happy with this in a pub.

I should add that I wasn't that happy at the time - A bit meh.

Not sure if this is being hyper self critical, not leaving it for long enough to condition or some fundamental difference between kegged and bottled beers.

This was one of my first brews and although I way over carbonated it (250g sugar in 10l 🤣) once it settled down it was lovely.

Back