Uncrushed Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrushOnCraft

Reaction score
I've just had my order from Geterbrewed land this morning, thanks guys, great service as usual.

I ordered uncrushed Maris Otter by mistake, what's the best way to crush it without a mill?

I've just had my order from Geterbrewed land this morning, thanks guys, great service as usual.

I ordered uncrushed Maris Otter by mistake, what's the best way to crush it without a mill?

I did this with a kilo of Munich malt. I'm planning on putting it in a strong ziplock bag and going at it with a rolling pin.

How much do you have? It's going to be a slow process I expect and if it's a big chunk of your grain bill you should plan for lower efficiency.

I did this with a kilo of Munich malt. I'm planning on putting it in a strong ziplock bag and going at it with a rolling pin.

How much do you have? It's going to be a slow process I expect and if it's a big chunk of your grain bill you should plan for lower efficiency.

I was accidentally sent uncrushed by GEB once (fortunately they replaced it with crushed and let me keep the uncrushed).

I tried a couple of thing but there's now real way around it, if you want to crush it you'll have to buy a mill.

I bought one of these. They work well but can be hit and miss on quality as other forumites who have bought one said they were **** but mine works fine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tall-Cas...602342?hash=item1f024d3c66:g:99YAAOSwJm5diwTX

a food processor or coffee grinder will work if you have one but it will be slow. a blender could work too possibly.

Where do you live? Plenty of people on here who have a mill and would help out. I’m in Fareham, Hampshire. If your nearby you could drop it off and I’ll mill it for you - social distancing adhered to of course.

The "Corona" style grain mills are pretty good and inexpensive. Not as fast as a roller mill but fast enough.

I'd just go ahead and get one. After the time it takes to crush what you have improvising you'll wish you bought the mill.

I just realised I had £50 quid in my PayPal account from a Nil Sickness award so bought myself a Bulldog roller mill!
Slightly cheaper grain, here I come!

Some homebrew shops do a pretty poor crush. I guess they figure your efficiency is going to suck so next time you'll order more grain. Having your own mill you can crush to what works best for you.

Congratulations!

Where do you live? Plenty of people on here who have a mill and would help out. I’m in Fareham, Hampshire. If your nearby you could drop it off and I’ll mill it for you - social distancing adhered to of course.
I'm in Cheshire. A little too far, but thanks all the same.

You will get around 40-45% efficiency you could order more a couple of kilo or three 'crushed' to mash in with the un crushed.
Did read of someone else who mashed his un crushed grain unwittingly, put it through a food processor after the mash and mashed for another 1/2 hour got his best efficiency ever.

Back