Undercarbonated Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've tried a couple of my bottled christmas ales and they are both a bit flat after 3 weeks in the cupboard and a week or two in the garage. Most of these batches are kegged so they'll be fine, but I bottled a dozen or so of each for Family and Friends.

I think I used 1 carb drop when I should have used two.

If I bring them back into the warm, can I add some more sugar and give them another week or two to carbonate them again.

Also when recarbonating do you add the full 2.5g or just 1g?

I'm aiming for 2.2 volumes for the Christmas Ale and about 2.5 volumes for the Winter Warmer.

Yes you can carbonate and re-cap then do the normal carbonation of warm for 2 weeks etc.
P.s did you bottle from the Keg or from the FV. I personally put a level teaspoon of sugar in for a average carbonation but it depends on how much carb you already have, is it low very low or reasonably carbed but you would just like a little more?

Yes you can carbonate and re-cap then do the normal carbonation of warm for 2 weeks etc.
P.s did you bottle from the Keg or from the FV. I personally put a level teaspoon of sugar in for a average carbonation but it depends on how much carb you already have, is it low very low or reasonably carbed but you would just like a little more?

I bottled from FV. I normally do 10-12 bottles off the top and then drop the rest into a Corny. I dropped in a single Carbonation Drop as they had 2.5g of sugar apparently.

They are both a bit too flat, like a slightly flat cask ale. You'd drink it but you'd not have another sort of thing.

I reckon another 2.5g for the Christmas Ale and Maybe 3.5g for the Winter Warmer.

If they are reasonably flat I personally would do half a level Teaspoon. Good luck just recap straight away to lessen the risk of contamination with new sterile caps.
I use my wife's cooking spoon so I can do half a teaspoon pretty accurately

Cheers,

Wasn't too bad, the Christmas Ale looked fine when I double checked it this morning, sadly it was too earliy inte.

So I've added half a teaspoon to the Winter Warmer to see if that comes up a bit

Back