Underletting & foundation liquor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who mash in using an underlet, and have a false bottom, do you add foundation liquor to the level of the false bottom and then add the grains to the mash tun then underlet, or just add the grains to an empty tun and underlet the full required liquor volume? If you do the latter, do you have any issues with wort clarity because fine particles fall though the false bottom into the dead space, or am I overthinking this?

For those of you who mash in using an underlet, and have a false bottom, do you add foundation liquor to the level of the false bottom and then add the grains to the mash tun then underlet, or just add the grains to an empty tun and underlet the full required liquor volume? If you do the latter, do you have any issues with wort clarity because fine particles fall though the false bottom into the dead space, or am I overthinking this?
You are brewing with a 3 vessel system? I used to underlet in all in one by bringing liquor up to strike temp then lowering filled grain basket in.

I think you are over thinking this one Marsh as the fine particles will generallt get rinsed into the bottom section under normal mashing too

Yes, 3V system. I've just made myself a shiny new mash tun from a stainless thermopot, so am keen to give underletting a go. @the baron , don't the fine particles get filtered by the grain bed? Although, thinking about it, they would anyway when I vourlaufed?

I'm overthinking this, I'll just crack on with an underlet. :laugh8:

Yes I think you are correct the trub in the bottom no matter which method you do is the fine particles usually, I get virtually no grain in my trub just dust

Back