United Utilities Water Report - Opinion Required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St00

Vogon Poet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning folkses

Do you think the attached water report is suitable (using the averages) for water treatment? Or is it worth getting a professional report done?

Any recommendations gratefully received. Many thanks.

Attachments

• United Utilities - Water Quality Search Results.pdf
    532.7 KB · Views: 96
I can't comment on your water report but what I can say is that if you take a water sample for professional analysis you have no way of knowing whether the water company will subsequently change the source of your water as they sometimes do, nor whether seasonal variations will be different. So what's valid one day may not be valid the next and so you may have wasted your money if you get the pro analysis done. In my view the best thing to do is to use the typical analysis and mod it as necessary and then check the water company website from time to time to see if it has changed. Or get your own basic testing kit if they are available.

Pretty "standard" for water sourced from acid moorland. Low in Calcium which (what little there is) swings about a bit. The usual lack of detail to estimate alkalinity, but it will be low (total hardness is given, which might be used to help make a guess?).

@terrym has lots of faith in basic test kits, but what you are going to find, in the case of the popular Salifert KH/alkalinity test, is the reality with your water may fall under the kit's resolution (sensitivity) and therefore minimum readable value (the Salifert kit returns alkalinity as "dKH", where 1dKH = 17.9ppm "as" CaCO3 and the kit's resolution is 0.3dKH). Watch out for "as" because it means a contrived unit is being used for convenience, it does not mean there is xppm of whatever (CaCO3 usually).

I did get professional analysis of my "got nowt in it" water and as @terrym says, the results are not much help (just being a snapshot in time). But the results should confirm the details from the water company and maybe put your mind at rest?

Latest posts

Back