Universal c02 regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben034

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, just after some advice on the use of a co2 regulator as in the picture. Having bottled beer for many years, I've finally got a couple of 5l kegland minikegs, mainly for dispensing lagers.

I'm using 16g gas bulbs at the moment due to very limited space. Now, because of this, naturally I don't want to waste any gas. I understand that turning the regulator one way increases the pressure, and that turning the other vents the pressure through the back of the regulator? So am I correct in thinking that if I wanted to disconnect the regulator from the keg (say to use it on another keg, or if I wasn't using the keg for a while), I would need to first disconnect the push fit fitting from the keg, then dial down the regulator? Or have I completely misunderstood how this regulator works?

Secondly , I'm using a check valve between the regulator and the keg as the kegs are stored on their sides and I've read that when the gas bulbs run out you can easily get liquid in your regulator. Am I correct that this would stop the regulator venting pressure, and therefore, my question above is less relevant? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• GEB2836.jpg
    GEB2836.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 27
Yes and yes.
Thanks! Should gas be on when connecting gas line? I connected previously and the line filled up to the check valve (which was lucky it was on presumably). Possibly over filled the keg which may not have helped. Need to get some scales I think

I usually have a small amount of pressure, maybe 5psi. But if you have a check valve, it should t matter, right?

I usually have a small amount of pressure, maybe 5psi. But if you have a check valve, it should t matter, right?
That's true, it was concerning seeing it come up the line but should be fine then I guess. Is there any downside to using a check valve apart from the regulator won't vent?

Not really, other than if you do get beer in the line and in the valve, make sure you clean and sanitise them at least in between kegs.

Thanks. Does anyone know which fitting I need to fit the regulator to 3/8 gas line? I thought I had ordered the correct part 3 times now, but it's still not right and it's driving me mad. I just received a John guest 1/4" BSP - 3/8 push fit. This is far too big though. Do DIY shops or places like Screwfix sell something that would work?

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_123643.jpg
    IMG_20211204_123643.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211204_123529.jpg
    IMG_20211204_123529.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 14
So, found where I have been going wrong! There was another part which I didn't notice and I'm fairly confident it will fit the link above 1/4 mfl to 3/8.

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_132414.jpg
    IMG_20211204_132414.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12
Back