Upside down tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenito

Regular.
Reaction score
I was just cleaning my FV and took apart the tap and noticed that I can insert it upside down. It would appear to work fine, but I was wondering if anyone else had done this and could confirm whether or not this works.

Basically I expect it would reduce the amount of trub you get out of the tap in theory

Flipped
fuhJntmm.jpg

Normal
K5Y9Nptm.jpg

On mine there's a little "lip" that clicks when I push the rotating tube into place when it's in the correct position. I presume that it stops that bit blowing out under pressure and TBH I've never been brave enough to try it upside down!:gulp:

None of my FV's have taps as Im terrified of a tap one day leaking all over the kitchen floor and then getting killed by MrsMQ. But I think in theory it should work as that's how racking arms in conicals can work. You can turn them around so they dont fill up with trub then when you want a sample turn them back to 'normal' to get a clean sample

None of my FV's have taps as Im terrified of a tap one day leaking all over the kitchen floor and then getting killed by MrsMQ. But I think in theory it should work as that's how racking arms in conicals can work. You can turn them around so they dont fill up with trub then when you want a sample turn them back to 'normal' to get a clean sample

Ditto on the "Never on an FV." but I have the same type of tap on my 25 litre Wilco PB, 2 x 10 litre PBs and a Wilco "wide neck" FV that I use as a Bottling Bucket.

I dismantle and sanitise them on a regular basis (as I once discovered black mould inside the one on the Bpttling Bucket) and I always have to go and look at one in service to remember which way they should be reassembled!:gulp:

Tap Mouldy.jpg

Latest posts

Back