Urgent yeast question for starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have only used white lab yeasts for starters as when using just use the smack packs I pitch them direct.

hiwever this time I opened an ESB smack pack without smacking to pour into my starter but half the yeast seems to have remained behind. I’m tempted to swirl some cooled boiled water around it and then pour that in too. The thing is the whole process before hand of sanitising the packet and even the scissors opening the packet makes me think dont risk it, as that an infection risk and just hope I got enough.

any ideas?

Attachments

• 2263878E-69BF-4196-804F-73093D4262BC.jpeg
    2263878E-69BF-4196-804F-73093D4262BC.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1
I would still risk it if you can safely seal the pack in the meantime. Sterilizing the pack and a sissor is relative low risk and in the time you do that, you could even kettle boil the bottled water and cool down again.

To less yeast can risk it even more because you delay the stat of fermention quite a bit, especally if you count in that you meight have used only the lighter bits of the pack, leaving in fact most of the yeast behind.

I’ve just poured some of the starter liquid into the pack smashed it around then back in the starter. Hopefully will be ok.

You definitely want to get that yeast out of the packet.

The wort/starter you are going to pitch this into is already sanitised, so use that to swirl out the packet. No (greater) risk of infection, provided you use a sanitised jug/scoop/spoon to transfer the wort into the sachet.

I’ve just poured some of the starter liquid into the pack smashed it around then back in the starter. Hopefully will be ok.
Just what I was typing out. Your starter won't contribute any additional risk of infection, so what you did was the best

That’s what I thought but had a minute or two of paranoia!! thinking my fingers will have infected the opening even though dipped in star san first!

That’s what I thought but had a minute or two of paranoia!! thinking my fingers will have infected the opening even though dipped in star san first!
Remember that sanitisation is about reducing the level of other organisms to a level where the yeast out competes it and the alcohol it produces kills of pretty much everything else. It's not about eradicating all other organisms. You should be fine!

I have only used white lab yeasts for starters as when using just use the smack packs I pitch them direct.

hiwever this time I opened an ESB smack pack without smacking to pour into my starter but half the yeast seems to have remained behind. I’m tempted to swirl some cooled boiled water around it and then pour that in too. The thing is the whole process before hand of sanitising the packet and even the scissors opening the packet makes me think dont risk it, as that an infection risk and just hope I got enough.

any ideas?
Just rinse the yeast out with some fresh tap water and stop knobbing around.
For heaven's sake. Look at the instructions for any extract beer kit: dissolve the contents in hot water, top up to volume with fresh cold water. No mention of subjecting the tin and the tin opener to a friendly gamma source.

Yeah and they supply a medicore product in those tins with an even worse yeast. Which gave/gives homebrewing a bad name with pp, who tried it and expected an premium beer after 4 weeks. thanks to there lable too.

Just rinse the yeast out with some fresh tap water and stop knobbing around.
For heaven's sake. Look at the instructions for any extract beer kit: dissolve the contents in hot water, top up to volume with fresh cold water. No mention of subjecting the tin and the tin opener to a friendly gamma source.
Not helpful input mate. Do you make liquid yeast starters often?

For heaven's sake. Look at the instructions for any extract beer kit: dissolve the contents in hot water, top up to volume with fresh cold water.
Maybe you got the wrong end of the stick - those instructions refer to the malt extract, nothing to do with yeast or starters.

Utter rubbish.
lndeed i the deed s already done as the OP has swirled the yeast out with some of the starter solution. Well done.

Time is of the essence here and the longer you dither and doubt, the more opportunity there is for airborne infection to contaminate the inside and the outside of the pack. Boiling and cooling water from scratch!! resealing the packet, which from the photo is in tatters.!! Really? Either go with what you've got and grow the culture up or rinse it out quickly with tap water. The quote about topping up with fresh water comes from that very mediocre product Tiny Rebel Cwtch' instructions.
And if you guys expect me to believe that a nearly pitchable quantity of yeast being grown up to something a little bigger is more likely to be contaminated by tapwater than an extract kit containing several gallons of same water and then sprinkled with a couple of sachets of dried yeast (one big yeast starter, by the way, Brauf) then dream on.

Yes I do , and I dont get in such a tizzy as this with them. After going through the sanitising regime, I cut off a corner, allowing me to squeeze every last drop out of the outer pack and retain the broken nutrient bag inside. Give it a try.

No Krausen but lots of yeasties at 18 hours so going to cold crash for tomorrow

Attachments

• 5D5F9E2D-4196-42BF-8AAE-1D6FCEB9A757.jpeg
    5D5F9E2D-4196-42BF-8AAE-1D6FCEB9A757.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back