US05 - Is my yeast dead?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmass96

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My first time brewing since around September, and I have what is probably a stupid question.

I pitched the yeast on Sunday, US05 and left it in the shed for some reason which is partially insulated. Overnight we had freezing temperatures and my FV was very cold yesterday. I've since moved it to the good old cupboard under the stairs and its returned to normal temperatures but no activity.

I don't have the equipment for temperature control or anything sadly.

Anyway, does it sound like I've killed the yeast and it's not going to get going?

Cheers,
Ben.

It'll be fine, the cold may have caused the yeast to go to sleep but it'll wake up again once the temperature is raised thumb

Hi folks,

My first time brewing since around September, and I have what is probably a stupid question.

I pitched the yeast on Sunday, US05 and left it in the shed for some reason which is partially insulated. Overnight we had freezing temperatures and my FV was very cold yesterday. I've since moved it to the good old cupboard under the stairs and its returned to normal temperatures but no activity.

I don't have the equipment for temperature control or anything sadly.

Anyway, does it sound like I've killed the yeast and it's not going to get going?

Cheers,
Ben.
Cold doesn't kill yeast, but they do get stressed easily, pressure, dissolved co2, telling them there is no God and no life after death. I am sure once they have got to a steady temperature that isn't too cold they will get back to work.

You might want to gently stir the yeast back up into the wort. Beside making yeast go dormant cold also makes it drop out of suspension.
Cheers! It doesn't matter so much that I'm opening it up then?

Be quick and very gentle with no splashing. Depending on your f v you may be able to swirl without openin.
Gave it a gentle stir for no more than 1 minute. There was krausen on the top to be fair, but with my FV you can't see the wort, right pain. I've got one of Wilko's 19l plastic FVs. Hope to see it bubbling soon!

Latest posts

Back