Use of Brown or Moscovado sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone used anything other than white or brewing sugar in TC brewing either as part of the brewing process or for carbonation?

Id be interested to know what the results are as I prefer brown sugar for most things in the home.

IM all ears chaps and chapesses

Go carefully with muscavado sugar, especially the dark stuff. A small amount can go a long way and introduce its own flavours which you may or may not want in a delicate or light beer (or cider). I use 120g dark in stouts and that's enough for me.
Your other thread indicates you are intending to make your first TC. My suggestion is to keep the recipe simple, find out what it tastes like, then if and when you make the next one, you are well placed to decide on any modifications should you think they are necessary

I use Demerera by default for homebrew as I started using it for jam making and found I like the darker colour and flavour it imparts.

I made 2 gallons of cider last year with Muscavado sugar, like @terrym says it goes a long way - it came out a lovely dark golden-brown colour with a very strong appley-caramely flavour although a bit too sweet as I'd used rather too much, but when poured and mixed ice cold with ordinary shop-bought cider it was lovely.

I'm planning on making another batch after my apple harvest in the next fortnight.

I use Demerera by default for homebrew as I started using it for jam making and found I like the darker colour and flavour it imparts.

I made 2 gallons of cider last year with Muscavado sugar, like @terrym says it goes a long way - it came out a lovely dark golden-brown colour with a very strong appley-caramely flavour although a bit too sweet as I'd used rather too much, but when poured and mixed ice cold with ordinary shop-bought cider it was lovely.

I'm planning on making another batch after my apple harvest in the next fortnight.
Sounds great. Ive started my first TC today. Im following the forum TC recipie however i think i will use demerara as i have loads of that in the house.

First batch. No extra sugar added and SG of 1033. I used 3g of ale yeast.

Exciting times!

Plan to add a bit of extra sugar on the second. Any pointers greatly recieved.

🙏💪👍

Latest posts

Back