Used Grain and Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone used this waste in a bread maker for ease?

Not done it but reckon it will perform like my own efforts. What I think happens is:

o The moisture is locked into the grain due to the Mashing process.

o Mixing the grain in with bread flour (plus yeast, oil, water etc) allows the mixture to bind to a nice stiff dough.

o During the time taken to prove the dough the water bleeds out of the grain and makes the dough less stiff by the knock-back stage.

o The stickier dough still rises after knock-back but the moisture still keeps on bleeding out of the grain.

o By the time it reaches the baking stage, the loaf stays stiff enough to allow the external shape to cook, but as the internal temperature increases the wet dough can't support itself due to the wetness and collapses as a result.

I would expect a similar think happening in a bread-maker ...

... especially if you used the recommended amount of water. :nono:

I reckon that:

o Either the grain needs to be minced to enable the moisture to come out of the grain during the kneading stage.
or
o The grain needs to be dried out a lot more.

My next attempt will be to put the grain through a fine mincer before use and use only 20% (1:4 ratio) of grain in the mix and add only enough water to make a very stiff dough.

I live in hope! :thumb:

Back