Using a beer gun bottle filler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt547

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

So I have just had my second disastrous attempt at using a beer gun bottle filler (the cheap one that is clearly a knock off of the early blichman beer gun) I bought it from the The home brew shop UK but i cant find the link to it on their website.

I watched a couple of Youtube tutorials on the process and I believe I have done everything right:
Purge the bottle with CO2, set the pressure on my regulator to 5psi reduced the pressure inside the keg. My liquid line is about 2 and a half metres long. Quick pull and hold on the trigger to fill the bottle.

However what I end up with is a lot of half filled, very foamy bottles and a lot of mess and wasted beer on the floor (See photo).

I just cant think what I'm doing wrong? The beer inside the keg is carbonated to about 15-20 PSI, thats normally what I hold my kegs at to allow a good pour.(could that be the issue?)

Any advice or tips people can give me would be greatly appreciated, I am very keen to be able to take some brews out with me without having the bottle conditioned yeast cake on them

Attachments

• IMG_4426[1].JPG
    IMG_4426[1].JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4427[1].JPG
    IMG_4427[1].JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
What temperature is your beer at?

It really helps to reduce foaming to have the beer as cold as possible, in single figure °C.

Yes as Sadfield says temp of the beer and the BOTTLES which need to be in a fridge close to the beer temp as possible will help with the foaming. Good Luck and let use know how you get on, I bottle off the keg which is ok but it is always less carbed than from the keg so some is lost in transfer.

As I am just setting up for bottling with a Blichmann Beergun 2, it occurred to me that one of the differences between it and the first model is that beer line has a smaller internal diameter than the original. Perhaps you could try reducing down to 5/16 if yours currently uses 3/8 tubing.

Hi guys, thanks for the response! I currently don't have a kegerator or spare fridge to cool my kegs in so they sit at room temp :/ This explains my excessive foaming I suppose. However with summer fast approaching I reckon its time to invest, I'll let you know how I get on next time

Latest posts

Back