Using a beer gun bottle filler

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Matt547, Mar 24, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Mar 24, 2019 #1

Matt547

Matt547

Matt547

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

So I have just had my second disastrous attempt at using a beer gun bottle filler (the cheap one that is clearly a knock off of the early blichman beer gun) I bought it from the The home brew shop UK but i cant find the link to it on their website.

I watched a couple of Youtube tutorials on the process and I believe I have done everything right:
    Purge the bottle with CO2, set the pressure on my regulator to 5psi reduced the pressure inside the keg. My liquid line is about 2 and a half metres long. Quick pull and hold on the trigger to fill the bottle.

However what I end up with is a lot of half filled, very foamy bottles and a lot of mess and wasted beer on the floor (See photo).

I just cant think what I'm doing wrong? The beer inside the keg is carbonated to about 15-20 PSI, thats normally what I hold my kegs at to allow a good pour.(could that be the issue?)

Any advice or tips people can give me would be greatly appreciated, I am very keen to be able to take some brews out with me without having the bottle conditioned yeast cake on them

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. Mar 24, 2019 #2

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

What temperature is your beer at?

It really helps to reduce foaming to have the beer as cold as possible, in single figure °C.

3. Mar 24, 2019 #3

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

Yes as Sadfield says temp of the beer and the BOTTLES which need to be in a fridge close to the beer temp as possible will help with the foaming. Good Luck and let use know how you get on, I bottle off the keg which is ok but it is always less carbed than from the keg so some is lost in transfer.

4. Mar 24, 2019 #4

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

As I am just setting up for bottling with a Blichmann Beergun 2, it occurred to me that one of the differences between it and the first model is that beer line has a smaller internal diameter than the original. Perhaps you could try reducing down to 5/16 if yours currently uses 3/8 tubing.

5. Mar 27, 2019 #5

Matt547

Matt547

Matt547

Hi guys, thanks for the response! I currently don't have a kegerator or spare fridge to cool my kegs in so they sit at room temp :/ This explains my excessive foaming I suppose. However with summer fast approaching I reckon its time to invest, I'll let you know how I get on next time

Sadfield likes this.