Using a domestic Electric Car charger for power

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an electric sparge water heater and maybe in the future a larger brewing system. The problem I have is that with my Brewzilla running both heating elements I don't have sufficient electric supply to power a sparge water heater simultaniously or a larger brewing system.

I was going to get an electrician in to install a higher capacity socket or two in my garage, but thought if it would be possible to utilise the Rolec EV charger I have in my garage? I don't have an EV at the moment so this device is going spare and runs off its own independent 32A supply so if I could get a plug adapter could I use it to power additional electrical equipment. Its rated to 32A so have plenty of umph to power either a sparge water heater or in the future a larger brewing system and would give me a second independent supply.

Thanks.

Is this like a Type 2 EV plug you'd be converting to a regular mains plug? I'd definitely at least consult someone knowledgeable (assuming you're not sure) before you melt down / explode brewing equipment.

Yep, a Type 2 EV plug to 3-pin socket. I'm definitely not sure!! will consult someone more knowledgeable...hoping someone on here is. I've found a company that supplies the EV plug to 3-pin socket adapter...its not cheap at £150, but then it might be cheaper than getting an electrician in to install an additional ring main in my garage. But yes, I need to check if it can do what I want it to do.

The one we had installed maxes out at 7kw so I'd want to be sure before I plug something comparably dainty (at least compared to an EV dainty) into it 🤣

Yeah, I assmed 7KW or not much more would be the max based on 230v and 32A. I think at first I'd be looking to run a sparge water heater, so around 2KW, so should have plenty of capacity for that, but maybe later if I upgrade my main brew setup then I'd be looking at 4k - 4.5k w.

You could get an electrician to swap out the Rolec charger for a commando socket.

Interesting about the electronic handshake. I didn’t think my charger was that sophisticated. Was a freebee from the council so assumed it was about as basic, and cheap, as chargers can be. I wonder what the purpose of the expensive plug to 3-pin socket extension chord is. I’ve emailed the company that manufactures them so will see what they say.

The 3-pin to type 2 cable might be a backup. EVs can be charged from a regular socket, it just takes a lot longer. When current is being shunted at 32A, there are a whole raft of safety protocols built in. Even the older chargers will have this.

if you watch the start of this video the chap explains how he runs his system off a converted EV charger.

Electrician in work was on about car chargers as he's fitted a few. I didn't fully understand the clever bits he was referring to but overall he said they were quite specific in their installation and use and something "not right" with them..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back