using a heat pad with the SS brewtech brew bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
Hello, Regarding the idea above, has or does anyone think if I could slip a heat pad inside the neoprene jacket of the brew bucket. Two reasons, firstly I have some kveik that I collected from my last brew and secondly the weather is changing.

I have never seen a heat pad, are they alittle flexible or are they built solid to hold the flat fermenters, failing that maybe be a heat belt around the inside of the jacket..

Cheers David

Another way to go about this is as follows: A neoprene jacket is insulation, yes? Kviek ferments really fast, especially at high temps, yes? You can use these two things to your advantage.
Whichever kviek your using, pitch it at the very top end of it's fermentation range (probably around 40C), the combination of the neoprene jacket along with the exothermic heat from the fermentation as well as the fact kviek ferments fast, will in all likely hood complete the your fermentation well before the temp of your wort reaches the minimum temp range for your kviek. This of course means you wont have to bother with a heat pad

You can get all 3 types.

A plastic rigid square which is no good to you.
A belt which is exactly that.
A jacket that wraps around the FV. I’ve only seen one that is proprietary to the manufacturer of their conicals but others may be available.

The 3rd option would be the better but it really does need to be controlled via anInk Bird type controller but cooling may be more of an issue.

HTH.

EDIT - MQ beat me...

Another way to go about this is as follows: A neoprene jacket is insulation, yes? Kviek ferments really fast, especially at high temps, yes? You can use these two things to your advantage.
Whichever kviek your using, pitch it at the very top end of it's fermentation range (probably around 40C), the combination of the neoprene jacket along with the exothermic heat from the fermentation as well as the fact kviek ferments fast, will in all likely hood complete the your fermentation well before the temp of your wort reaches the minimum temp range for your kviek. This of course means you wont have to bother with a heat pad
I did that exact thing on my last brew, but I cooled to 36c, after 2 days the temp had start to drop about 5c per day and the fermentation needed another 3 days until it reached 1.014. I will try only cooling to the high temp of 40c and see how it goes. thanks MyQul.

Summer brewing season is over for me too. I'll be brewing a couple of bitters before it gets too cold on my kitchen floor then switch to (pseudo) lagers
last year i brewed the dortmunder export from the HBB book, fermented in the cellar at around 14c, very similar to holsten pils, love it or not, it was a good drinker.

Hello, Regarding the idea above, has or does anyone think if I could slip a heat pad inside the neoprene jacket of the brew bucket. Two reasons, firstly I have some kveik that I collected from my last brew and secondly the weather is changing.

I have never seen a heat pad, are they alittle flexible or are they built solid to hold the flat fermenters, failing that maybe be a heat belt around the inside of the jacket..

Cheers David
What size is the brewbucket? SS brewtech sell exactly what you describe (not cheap) for there 5.5 gallon fermenters Ftss2 system. Or are you referring to the smaller 3.5 gallon brewbucket mini which only has cooling (or heating only via the coil system with an aquarium heater)?

My kitchen floor gets down to similar temps during the coldest part of winter. I want to do a helles this winter
sounds good, if you ever fancy a lager style trade I am up for that, will be knocking out at least 75 litres over winter, because last year I brewed 25 litres and it vanished very quickly..

Latest posts

Back