Using a plethera of British style hops in what?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Baron

Good luck with the brew, Styrians and Fuggles should dry-hop nicely IMHO wink...

For the rest of your British hop stockpile, can I suggest an alternative approach ... I know you've got lots and you're looking to have a clear-out ... but I'd suggest you "play the long game" with having that clear out ... store them as cold and as airtight as you can, and just put on a British style beer, every so often ... those are the sorts of beers they were selectively bred and grown for, after all :?: ... OK, a Stout, Bitter or Mild (even) won't use a big proportion of those hops, won't make a big dent in your stockpile ... and yes there'll be some degradation of alpha-acids, and maybe taste, over time ... but most British hops were never particularly high alpha-acids (or taste even) anyway, and with most British beer styles you won't necessarily be using such high quantities of hops that any degradation will be particularly evident :?:... I'd also say, don't be tempted to take the "use all one hop to get rid of most of the pack" approach, these hops can be a little one-dimensional used alone, when in combinations they can really "zing", that might mean you end up using little bits from a few packs, but you will be rewarded in the finished beer wink...

I don't know Flyer
... I've brewed with Flyer, mostly it's like Golding's (that combination of floral and spicy) with a definite hint of mustard in the finish (in particular Coleman's yellow mustard powder) ... went really nicely in a Dark Mild, paired with Fuggles wink... :beer1:

Cheers, PhilB

thanks
Hi Baron

Good luck with the brew, Styrians and Fuggles should dry-hop nicely IMHO wink...

For the rest of your British hop stockpile, can I suggest an alternative approach ... I know you've got lots and you're looking to have a clear-out ... but I'd suggest you "play the long game" with having that clear out ... store them as cold and as airtight as you can, and just put on a British style beer, every so often ... those are the sorts of beers they were selectively bred and grown for, after all :?: ... OK, a Stout, Bitter or Mild (even) won't use a big proportion of those hops, won't make a big dent in your stockpile ... and yes there'll be some degradation of alpha-acids, and maybe taste, over time ... but most British hops were never particularly high alpha-acids (or taste even) anyway, and with most British beer styles you won't necessarily be using such high quantities of hops that any degradation will be particularly evident :?:... I'd also say, don't be tempted to take the "use all one hop to get rid of most of the pack" approach, these hops can be a little one-dimensional used alone, when in combinations they can really "zing", that might mean you end up using little bits from a few packs, but you will be rewarded in the finished beer wink...

... I've brewed with Flyer, mostly it's like Golding's (that combination of floral and spicy) with a definite hint of mustard in the finish (in particular Coleman's yellow mustard powder) ... went really nicely in a Dark Mild, paired with Fuggles wink... :beer1:

Cheers, PhilB
Thanks Phil I have too many to use quickly so it will be a long game but I wanted to get advise on using more than normal by dry hopping which I have never done with english ale styles. I will do a few more ales or bitters but not a lover of stouts although a porter is not too bad its just that 40 pints seems to last forever in the heavier beers. I do vac pack and store in a fridge so they will last a long time its just that storage space is becoming a issue as they do creep up on you. I do not generally use a single british style hop on its own and usually use about 3 varieties in a ale/bitter and thanks for the tip on flyer

Thanks Matt I have not brewed the beer as yet so I will possibly still at a point of not having put in the dry hop when you crack your first bottle. I await your reply. I am going to do a English IPA with alittle rye and munich in it, hops wise I am cheating slightly with Fuggles, Styrian Cardinal and Styrian goldings as they needs using up as they are open and dry hopping with Fuggles and Styrian Cardinal
I made some notes on my ESB here if you're interested:
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/matt76s-brewdays.81971/page-3#post-832163

Unfortunately it's tricky to answer your question about the dry hop properly as the brown malt I used is a little too much.

It may change a bit over time of course but if I had to guess right now I'd say the amounts I used in the dry hop were about right athumb..

Hi Matt just finished the brew 5 minutes ago I did a low alcohol English IPA style with 3kg base pale, 100g munich, 100g crystal 145 EBC malt, some torrified and porridge oats. The hops I used where all at 15 mins 30g Cardinal Styrian, 25g Fuggles and 20g of Styrian Goldings. I plan to dry hop with 30g Cardinal Styrian, 25g of Fuggles and 9g 0f styrian Goldings that was left for 3 days. I am only doing 3 days as it is the first dry hop with these types of hops and do not want a grassy taste. Time will tell and as what category it comes under really who knows

I can't remember if I dry hopped and can't find any records but I was once given a big bag of target and put them all in an IPA which turned out rather good. Might have to revisit this now that you remind me of it.

I have used Target in a bitter with other hops and a very under rated hop for that style. People seem to only use it for bittering but as I have said in previous posts I don't really use bittering hops now but do a lot more late additions to get more flavour into the beer and use these to get my IBU's

Back