Using Amarillo Hops for Flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the advice, all about experimentation, but don't want to 'over egg the omelette' so to speak....Cheers!

Have you run your recipe through a calculator? 60g of Amarillo at 8.5% for 60mins could be giving you nearly 60 IBU if you are brewing 23 litres at an OG of about 1.040. Although perhaps you are happy with that

Thank you for the advice Hazlewood Brewery. So with the AA percentages, the recipe is all Amarillo which is between 7% and 11% AA, I've checked the AA's on my Centennial which are between 9.5%~11.5AA. would that be a balance, am I correct? conversely if I used Citra which is 12.4%AA or say Fuggles which at 4%AA would this be an unbalance? or am I completely wrong in my understanding.
Using something with similar AA can be swapped as-is. If your substitute hops have a lower AA you will need to use more of them to get the same results.

Oh sorry, the recipe calls for 60 grams overall!..... yes 60 g at 60mins, would be an lip puckering amount!.

Many moons ago I made BrewUK's "Way To Amarillo" and it was gorgeous. I think I saved the recipe somewhere, I'm definately not a hophead and generally steer away from IPAs with "C" hops although I do enjoy a reasonably-hopped Cascade beer. If I find the recipe I'll post the late hop additions, what struck me was that it was a very balanced beer.

Made a 2.5 gallon batch of pale ale using Amarillo. Pitched the full ounce at 25 minutes. Bitterness came out right where I like. Lots of flavor too. Not sure I like the flavor. Probably won't use them again.

Hoping they mellow out with time. Beer should taste like beer.

All the Best,
D. White

Made a 2.5 gallon batch of pale ale using Amarillo. Pitched the full ounce at 25 minutes. Bitterness came out right where I like. Lots of flavor too. Not sure I like the flavor. Probably won't use them again.

Hoping they mellow out with time. Beer should taste like beer.

All the Best,
D. White

Yes, Amarillo is very intense!

Latest posts

Back