Using beer gas with a corny keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so here it is, I'll try to post a video, it didn't cascade like mad but it did provide a loverly creamy head, tastes great, its a bit like roaster coaster but without the sweet taste, quite bitter from the coffee but not in a bad way, just got another 40 pints to sink and its done clapa
Please excuse the Guiness glass.

Won't let me post the vid, doesn't like MP4 files.
Wow. Looks great. Do you get a nice head with a normal tap. Im
Making the guiness clone myself presently. Guineas Irish stout from beer works.

Okay so here it is, I'll try to post a video, it didn't cascade like mad but it did provide a loverly creamy head, tastes great, its a bit like roaster coaster but without the sweet taste, quite bitter from the coffee but not in a bad way, just got another 40 pints to sink and its done clapa
Please excuse the Guiness glass.

Won't let me post the vid, doesn't like MP4 files.
Hi. So was that poured with beer gas. But the keg gasses with CO2. Mike

Thanks for the comments, I've got to admit I'm very pleased. I only tried it with the nitro spout, but I will try it with the normal spout later and let you know if there's a difference. Good luck with the Guinness clone, it's a great brew to make, I love stouts.

As to the gas, it was gassed and poured with the same gas, that's a 70% nitrogen 30% Co2. As mentioned in a previous post, I tried the force carbonation method with this gas, not sure I needed to do that, but the steps I did are like so:

• Once fermentation was complete, I racked the stout into a bottling bucket, this included a tap and I used a hop spider to filter the beer a little whilst transferring by siphon.
  • I allowed the brew to settle again for a couple of days then transferred to the kegs, approx 18 litres into the big keg and 5 litres into the small keg, I purged the kegs with beer gas before I filled the kegs with the stout from the tap on the filling bucket.
  • Once filled I popped the kegs in the fridge for a day to cool.
  • I then connected the gas to the kegs, pressurised to 30psi and rolled them around and gave them a cuddle for about 10 minutes each (thats the force carbonation, again, not sure I needed to do that)
  • Left the kegs in the fridge for about a week, then connected the gas to the small keg for 3 days at 30psi pressure.
  • To pour, I reduced the pressure to 4psi, that was a little low so I upped the pressure to 10psi to pour, that resulted in the glass of stout in the picture I previously posted.
So it worked perfectly, the drink was nice and smooth, a great head that lasted to the end of the glass, if I can find a way to link the videos I'll put some on, I took a few to try and show the cascading bubbles as they rose and created the head, like I said, it didn't look like a can of draught Guinness just poured, but that didn't matter as the end result was spot on. Here's a pic of pint 5 (I went through 7 last night) :beer1:

Cheers.

Attachments

• 5th pint.jpg
    5th pint.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the comments, I've got to admit I'm very pleased. I only tried it with the nitro spout, but I will try it with the normal spout later and let you know if there's a difference. Good luck with the Guinness clone, it's a great brew to make, I love stouts.

As to the gas, it was gassed and poured with the same gas, that's a 70% nitrogen 30% Co2. As mentioned in a previous post, I tried the force carbonation method with this gas, not sure I needed to do that, but the steps I did are like so:

• Once fermentation was complete, I racked the stout into a bottling bucket, this included a tap and I used a hop spider to filter the beer a little whilst transferring by siphon.
  • I allowed the brew to settle again for a couple of days then transferred to the kegs, approx 18 litres into the big keg and 5 litres into the small keg, I purged the kegs with beer gas before I filled the kegs with the stout from the tap on the filling bucket.
  • Once filled I popped the kegs in the fridge for a day to cool.
  • I then connected the gas to the kegs, pressurised to 30psi and rolled them around and gave them a cuddle for about 10 minutes each (thats the force carbonation, again, not sure I needed to do that)
  • Left the kegs in the fridge for about a week, then connected the gas to the small keg for 3 days at 30psi pressure.
  • To pour, I reduced the pressure to 4psi, that was a little low so I upped the pressure to 10psi to pour, that resulted in the glass of stout in the picture I previously posted.
So it worked perfectly, the drink was nice and smooth, a great head that lasted to the end of the glass, if I can find a way to link the videos I'll put some on, I took a few to try and show the cascading bubbles as they rose and created the head, like I said, it didn't look like a can of draught Guinness just poured, but that didn't matter as the end result was spot on. Here's a pic of pint 5 (I went through 7 last night) :beer1:

Cheers.
https://streamable.com/3kt3k4https://streamable.com/scfpvk
Hopefully this works, the pint settling is a bit out of focus but you can get the gist of it.

Very cool. How much carbonation can you taste from that 30%? Do you get any of that fizzy acid taste at all?

Very cool. How much carbonation can you taste from that 30%? Do you get any of that fizzy acid taste at all?
No not really, in fact I was expecting it to be a little fizzier, but its just about right for a stout, I'm no expert, but it tastes just like a draught stout should from a fizziness perspective.

I was expecting this to be a little sweet, as I had got the yeast wrong and should have made a starter, it finished at around 1.028, target was 1.014 ish, but it has no lactose and it has 85% chocolate and espresso coffee in the recipe so that's given it a bitterness on top of the hops. It's a very easy drinker, not too strong.

No not really, in fact I was expecting it to be a little fizzier, but its just about right for a stout, I'm no expert, but it tastes just like a draught stout should from a fizziness perspective.

I was expecting this to be a little sweet, as I had got the yeast wrong and should have made a starter, it finished at around 1.028, target was 1.014 ish, but it has no lactose and it has 85% chocolate and espresso coffee in the recipe so that's given it a bitterness on top of the hops. It's a very easy drinker, not too strong.
Sounds great

Latest posts

Back