Using biscuits in the mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Smith

Reaction score
I am trying to replicate a desert in a beer and thought it would be cool to add the biscuits from the desert into the mash as well. I have added bread to the mash before with no issues but I’m wondering if anything could go wrong with adding biscuits, maybe because if the fat in the biscuits?

anyone used biscuits in the mash before?

Yeah I'd not do that. Same with most bread really, fats/oils are not good in beers.

Instead try and find specialty malts/grains that target the flavours you want. There's loads of specialty malts around now, lots more than there were even ten years ago.

Always beware using processed food products unless you really understand how all the ingredients will behave when fermented.

Or to put it another way:

Or just try it and see if it works.
My chai tea dry hopped Christmas beer was a disgusting disaster and got poured away but my earl gray pale ale is fab.

Double check, but i think the yeast do not like fat either. If it is a high gravity beer, you want to give your yeast the best conditions possible.
Maybe a flavour extract might be the best route.

If I wanted a beer like the desert I’d use a saison yeast or analyse enzyme.

pqhkmmqspny.jpeg

Just use Biscuit malt for a biscuit flavour but sparingly as when I have used it the flavour can be overpowering

Back