Using confectionery with beer kits (also kit questions)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakesBrew

Reaction score
Morning all!

I've been having a little fun with basic beer kits recently in using that Lowicz fruit syrups in them which have come out lovely. So, I love fizzy sweets - the veggie Colin the Caterpillar fizzy sweets from M&S to be exact - and wanted to shove them in a beer kit. Has anyone else tried this at all?

I'm thinking of just putting a load in a muslin bag and letting it brew?
I do have a few questions if anyone has any input, though. Has anyone tried the Muntons Sour Malt Extract? Because it looks interesting but not sure whether it's used on it's own or if it's mixed with a standard beer kit (as an enhancer?). And just generally does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should use less brewing sugar seeing as I'm using fizzy confectionery.

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences with stuff like this!

Hi,

first never use brewing sugar, they overpriced. use half dem and half sugar if you must. but 100%dme is better for the flavor/feel/look.

second, mark the fermenter you do the sour in, its ruind for life. you will never get the stuff out of the pores completly. (if you dont have a stainless steel one with less than 4 mircron finish or was it 2?)
third: you really want to add that to your brew? it will desolve especally if you add the hot wort to it and galantine and co is used as a "clearling" agent to get floaties out of your brew after fermention is done. maybe split your brew and try it out, you only loose a part if it goes not to your liking.

LG Maddy

In terms of what you’re adding to your beer, the sweets are going to be mainly sugar, which will dissolve and slightly increase the ABV of your brew, as well as some flavouring and citric acid to make them sour. You won’t get the clarifying effects from gelatine, as they are vegetarian and therefore gelatine-free, however some vegetarian/vegan sweets use carrageenan as their gelling agent, which should work in a similar way.

I’m interested to hear how this goes!

first never use brewing sugar, they overpriced. use half dem and half sugar if you must. but 100%dme is better for the flavor/feel/look.
Welcome Ice Queen. You have the air of having been in these parts before and of knowing what you're doing. What's the story, Jackanory?
Agreed. Brewing sugar and carbonation drops are a complete waste of dosh as is glucose of dextrose. However, quite a number of AG recipes will use ordinary sucrose to thin the body- heavy Belgians (and I'm not talking about Capt. Haddock) can benefit quite a bit from this.
second, mark the fermenter you do the sour in, its ruind for life. you will never get the stuff out of the pores completly. (if you dont have a stainless steel one with less than 4 mircron finish or was it 2?)
third: you really want to add that to your brew? it will desolve especally if you add the hot wort to it and galantine and co is used as a "clearling" agent to get floaties out of your brew after fermention is done. maybe split your brew and try it out, you only loose a part if it goes not to your liking.
While I reckon you can get it clean, I would do the same as you suggest: put the fermenter aside for future use; it's just not worth the risk. The same with diastaticus variant yeasts.

Latest posts

Back