Using different dried yeast together

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may be a bit too late to ask as I intend brewing this afternoon, but here goes.
I'm getting a Geordie Bitter on the go later, and the supplied yeast is a 7g packet. I have various packs of yeast left over from other kits (I only brew kits) because I used a different yeast. It seems a shame to waste them and wondered would I have a problem if I mixed another packet ie. one that came with a Wherry, with the Geordie one?

Any views, Chaps :hmm:

It will be fine to mix dried yeast I would think. It's probably all Nottingham yeast anyway.

This may be a bit too late to ask as I intend brewing this afternoon, but here goes.
I'm getting a Geordie Bitter on the go later, and the supplied yeast is a 7g packet. I have various packs of yeast left over from other kits (I only brew kits) because I used a different yeast. It seems a shame to waste them and wondered would I have a problem if I mixed another packet ie. one that came with a Wherry, with the Geordie one?

Any views, Chaps :hmm:

I have done the same when I had 2 7g packs and from previous experience had difficulties getting below 1020 - all turned out ok.

It's a good idea IMO, cos you should have enough yeast with two packs, 7g packs are not really enough. Also, if one pack is a bit old and lacking active yeast, the other could solve the problem of having nowhere near enough active yeast and get you out of jail.

And two yeasts might add a bit of complexity to the finished beer, if they are different strains, which they may be. Coopers is certainly different from the Geordie and Munton's ones, for example. I also wouldn't be surprised if Munton's put Premium Gold yeast in their two can kits and their standard yeast in one can kits, as their descriptions of the two yeasts suggest these two different uses.

Thanks, all.

I,m going to use:
Kit can
2 x 7g yeast
1kg Medium Spray Malt
200g Crushed Crystal
100g " Wheat
Yeast Nutrient
Tap water with a campden tablet dissolved in it
Ferment at 19.5c
Brew short t0 21L and see what the SG is

Merry Christmas Chaps :drink:

Last edited:
I also wouldn't be surprised if Munton's put Premium Gold yeast in their two can kits and their standard yeast in one can kits, as their descriptions of the two yeasts suggest these two different uses.
But Wherry is a two can kit and people still get the dreaded 'stuck at 1.020' situation, including me. And I have had problems with a Wilko one can kit which I understand is a Muntons kit.
However, I used a standard 11g packet of GV12 - from Muntons - on a Wherry, and it attenuated out as it should.
So perhaps it is just that 7g of Muntons kit yeast is just not enough for a 20 litre plus batch and the pitching quantity just needs to be augmented to be successful.
And to give the opposite position on kit yeast, I have a Coopers Stout on the go at present. I started the kit yeast first by hydrating, then adding a little sugar before pitching, SG 1.047, slowly bubbling through the air lock within four hours, and down to 1.011 and substantially finished at day 5.

I just put a coopers stout in with the standard yeast + Nottingham yeast
Will be interesting to see the end result

I just put a coopers stout in with the standard yeast + Nottingham yeast
Will be interesting to see the end result
The primary of my last Coopers Stout, to the same 'recipe' and using the kit yeast only, has so far more or less duplicated the current brew i.e that one started at 1.048, also produced a 100mm plus depth krausen on 19 litres after 24 hours, and was virtually finished after five days at 1.011. If the new one tastes as good as it's predecessor I will be well pleased :thumb: .

The primary of my last Coopers Stout, to the same 'recipe' and using the kit yeast only, has so far more or less duplicated the current brew i.e that one started at 1.048, also produced a 100mm plus depth krausen on 19 litres after 24 hours, and was virtually finished after five days at 1.011. If the new one tastes as good as it's predecessor I will be well pleased :thumb: .

Has coopers got a new stout out now ??
Or am I miss understanding your post :thumb:

But Wherry is a two can kit and people still get the dreaded 'stuck at 1.020' situation, including me. And I have had problems with a Wilko one can kit which I understand is a Muntons kit.
However, I used a standard 11g packet of GV12 - from Muntons - on a Wherry, and it attenuated out as it should.
So perhaps it is just that 7g of Muntons kit yeast is just not enough for a 20 litre plus batch and the pitching quantity just needs to be augmented to be successful.
And to give the opposite position on kit yeast, I have a Coopers Stout on the go at present. I started the kit yeast first by hydrating, then adding a little sugar before pitching, SG 1.047, slowly bubbling through the air lock within four hours, and down to 1.011 and substantially finished at day 5.

No buts. As you say, the Munton's kit yeasts are only about 6g, which is not enough, whatever yeast it is. Cooper's yeasts seem to cope with 5 gallon batches even though they are only 7g packs.

Has coopers got a new stout out now ??
Or am I miss understanding your post :thumb:
Both Coopers 'Original Series' Stout.
That said, I have noticed that Coopers have revamped their Brew Can range including new packaging for this kit (mine are the old version) so until they release the new stuff onto the UK market we won't know what's inside the new Cans.
And of course there's Thomas Coopers Irish Stout which I have yet to try, which is now possibly in their revamped 'International' range as just Irish Stout :confused: .

I've added one lme,dark+one k off brewing sugar to my cooper stout
Can't wait to try this one

Thanks, all.

I,m going to use:
Kit can
2 x 7g yeast
1kg Medium Spray Malt
200g Crushed Crystal
100g " Wheat
Yeast Nutrient
Tap water with a campden tablet dissolved in it
Ferment at 19.5c
Brew short t0 21L and see what the SG is

Merry Christmas Chaps :drink:

I used the two yeasts and after about 12 hrs, it has gone ape**** ! Blown out half of the water in the airlock :thumb:

Back