Using irish moss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonboypeace

Reaction score
Evening just a quick 2 questions one is does everyone use Irish moss or the tablet kind at the end of your brew I have forgot ahah and now it's in the fermenter and the second question I did remember to use the hydrometer it read 120 ish or just near the blue line if that makes sense is this any good? Thank you

I usually use Irish moss at 15 minutes, unless I want a hazy beer.

Not too sure what you mean with the hydrometer reading - do you have a picture or a clearer description?

Do you mean near the blue section of a standard hydrometer? That normally runs from 1.045 to 1.090. If that’s the case, unless you’ve made a very big beer 😬, I should think you gave an OG of about 1.045 (which is about right for a 4.5%ish beer).

96D09CE8-6776-41FA-A8F0-E76B2EA12064.jpeg

On the Irish moss front, I also add it to all my beers which I’d like to clear, but I only brew vege beers, so other clarification methods (besides letting it drop naturally) aren’t really an option.

I used to use Irish Moss but have switched to Protofloc which is derived from it but which seems to work much better.
If you don't use it or other finings chances are the beer will be a bit hazy. But that doesn't affect the taste so it's not a problem really. Just use a tankard if it offends your sense of perfectionism...

I've got both (I don't know how that came about). I usually use protofloc- half a tablet in 20-25 litres. It's important not to use too much- last ten minutes of boil. If I use Irish moss, I use a teaspoonful last 15 minutes of the boil. There's no point in adding it after the boil as it won't do anything.

Latest posts

Back