Using juice for Melomels?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteBeardface

Reaction score
After what I'm hoping to be a successful first attempt at a mead, which is currently aging, I'm looking into the future and researching melomels. There are a great many variations, which I'm glad to see, but I've yet to find any recipes that call for juice instead of fruit. I find this odd, considering how popular turbo ciders are.

Has anyone ever tried making a melomel with fruit juice instead of fruit? I'm curious to see if anyone's tried it before I jump in and have a go anyway :P

You simply (he said) use the juice in place of water but you need to be cautious. Some juice - cranberry, for example, or orange juice can be very acidic and so very tart when all the sugars have been fermented brut dry . I might use 1/2 -1 L of cranberry juice to make a gallon (4 l) of cranberry mead , but a gallon of say, mango or papaya juice if I am making a melomel with that fruit. But the principle is to use the juice in the same way you would have used water and remember that most fruit will have a gravity of about 1.040 - 1.050 so adjust the honey content accordingly..

Great news, sounds like i just need to experiment a bit and watch the sugar level. It definitely seems like a much cheaper way to make melomels... the idea of cherry beer or cherry mead is really appealing, but the price of cherries puts me off.
Cheers for that, Bernardsmit

You need to think about cherry. Sweet cherry in a melomel can remind you of cough medicine. I would look for sour cherry and I would not aim for a high ABV. You want a low ABV, high acid (low pH, high TA) and a drier finish. Make sure also that you avoid any chlorine in water as you can produce chlorophenols if your processes are not spot on and chlorophenols with added cherry flavor is exactly what cough syrup is made from... just sayin'..

So i definitely shouldn't use sainsburys or tescos cherry juice cartons? :-P I've been eyeing up recipes and ingredients for a long while now. I've found tart cherry juice and concentrate and have some lalvin 1118 in the fridge. I'll get some spring water in to be safe, do a 5L batch with about 2lb honey along with the juice to taste. How's that sound?

Sounds good. Can't speak to Sainsbury's or Tesco. I am in upstate NY and we don't have those stores here. But tart cherry juice sounds perfect.. But others with experience with cherry melomels in the UK might offer more relevant advice and information.

Latest posts

Back