Using kit to make a hoegaarden???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barryw86

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to all of this and looking for advice, can I create a hoegaarden clone using a beer kit?? If so what one should I be using and how would I add the flavours?

I would start with a wheat beer kit and swap the yeast for something like Mangrove Jack M21. Then when fermentation is complete make a spice tea by steeping about 10g of cracked coriander seed and 45g fresh orange zest in boiling water for a few minutes, then strain and add the liquid to the FV. You may want to do a small taste test to get the spicing to your taste then scale up. I'm not a kit brewer so I've no idea what a wheat beer kit is like, but this should get you something similar.

Thanks guys.
Hiya mate. For my first brew I tried to do something similar. Used Wilko’s Wheat beer single can kit, replaced the yeast with Mangrove Jacks M21, 10g of crushed coriander and some bitter orange peel (I forget how much but I got the amounts off a thread on here) and threw in a kg of wheat spraymalt. Currently bottle conditioning now, needs another week, but it blew me away how wonderful it smelled whilst I was bottling, especially since it was my first brew. I’ll let you know in a week or so how it goes.

Hiya mate. For my first brew I tried to do something similar. Used Wilko’s Wheat beer single can kit, replaced the yeast with Mangrove Jacks M21, 10g of crushed coriander and some bitter orange peel (I forget how much but I got the amounts off a thread on here) and threw in a kg of wheat spraymalt. Currently bottle conditioning now, needs another week, but it blew me away how wonderful it smelled whilst I was bottling, especially since it was my first brew. I’ll let you know in a week or so how it goes.
Nice one buddy will definitely give that a try.

How did you add the crushed coriander and orange?? Did you just put it in with kit or did you bag it?

Latest posts

Back