Using Maple Syrup to increase ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris17

Reaction score
I’m currently planning my second BIAB brew. I’m planning on following a recipe for a Chocolate Porter. The recipe has a target OG of 1.044 and ABV of 4.23%. I’d quite like to increase the ABV a bit, but I’ve already purchased the correct amounts for the grain bill (the recipe is for BIAB so I'm assuming it has taken reduced efficiency into account!!) and I’m planning on brewing on Sunday, so won’t have time to buy any more.

The recipe does call for Maple Syrup to be added at the end of the boil and then used for priming. I am just wondering if I could add a bit more maple syrup to increase the amount of sugars and help increase the ABV? Or do you guys this would have too much of an effect on flavour? Or would it not work at all?! If you think it could work, what would be the best stage to add it?

I've never used maple syrup but often use Golden syrup. Adding more maple syrup will definately increase the ABV as it's basically just sugar. I have no idea what MS tastes like or how strong a taste it has but my guess is, in something with roasty grains in it, as your chocolate porter does, you wont taste it much at all if you add more.
Add it 10 mins before the end of the boil.
Also I wouldn't bother using it to prime with. Just use table sugar

If it is real maple syrop...that's quite an expensive addition. If it came fairly cheap...it most likely is just essenced corn syrop. Maple is fairly bitter but I think would add nicely to a darker...fuller beer.

Im not sure how to convert that, but Im near source and can get pure maple syrup for 8 GBP per 1/2 litre

Remember that 1 litre of water weighs a kilo gram. I know it's syrup but should be close. So you'll be paying £4 for 250g.

Never used maple syrup but I too reasonably use golden syrup for a bit of extra kick if I think it's needed.

I followed an old ale recipe last Christmas which stipulated you must use black treacle. When I tried the pre bottling hydrometer sample, it tasted overpoweringly of... black treacle. A few weeks later, the OTT treacle flavour had gone and it was very nice. I'm brewing some more for this Christmas.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went for it and added about 750ml of maple syrup (for a 10 Litre batch), which was just over double what the recipe suggested (and rather costly!). Think I may have gone a tad overboard as I ended up with an OG of 1.070. I'm a bit worried I've overdone it a bit but will just wait and see how it turns out. I did add the first 250ml at the start of the boil, so I'm hoping that will reduce the impact on flavour a little bit?!

You could add dextrose to beef up the ABV. I wouldn't ordinarily advise this as it can thin out a beer but if your beer is starting out at 4.2%, I don't imagine it will be very unctuous to begin with.

Back