Using RO water that's been stored

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I filled up one of these 25L containers with RO water expecting to be able to brew a couple of weeks ago. I shall now be brewing tomorrow. Do I need to ditch (into the water butt) this and get some fresh, or will it be ok to use? I'm not worried about anything biological, as it'll all get boiled. More wondering about any plastic taste that may be present. My nose/tastebuds don't seem to be too sensetive, but equally don't want to ruin a batch of beer for the sake of saving a 20 minute trip to pick up more RO. Maybe I have answered my own question there 🤔

I think you've answered your own question 😅, but if you can't taste anything 'off' in the water before you brew, then you certainly won't be able to taste it after the brew! Taste the water and if it tastes fine, brew with it.

Just out of interest I recently learned that while freshly distilled water has a neutral pH (7.0), when exposed to the air then it absorbs CO2 which reacts with the water to make carbonic acid. This then partly dissociates to release H+ ions that reduce the pH to about 5.8.

2H20 + CO2 --> H2O + H2CO3 (carbonic acid) --> H3O+ (hydronium) + HCO3- (bicarbonate ions)

The process takes a couple of hours but has no real significance for brewing because the effect is dwarfed by the minerals and so on released by the grain.

Latest posts

Back