Using rye grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
Hey all SWMBO works nights so I'm just getting ready to do a quick experimental BIAB once again using some left over grains and an old tin of amber malt extract.

Question. Is there anything I need to know about using rye grains? I've got 500g to dump in along with special w 250. Haven't used rye before and I'm a little rusty having not brewed for a while. Do I increase mash temp as the grains don't look so 'cracked' or milled as other normal grains.

Cheers

Rye malt acts rather like wheat malt in the mash, it can get a bit sticky. I have used it up to 25% in which case I recommend oat husks and maybe a stepped mash, but with a small amount like you're using it won't cause any issues. It'll add a nice complexity to the malt profile.

This Weyermann Special W Malt 250 I bought 2 years ago, from our friends at geterbrewed none the less. Went out of date this time last year...smells....amazing!

It's like having chocolate digestives in porridge form. I'm tempted to keep the grain to make a loaf with.

Here's a nice pic of the first running in the sugar refractometer

Attachments

• 20180512_212028.jpg
    911.5 KB · Views: 61
After boil then adding liquid malt extract that I've only just found out was wheat extract. Label was missing. I now have about 17 litres of diluted wort at only 7% brix sugar o meter might feed it some glucose when I add the yeast. Only one I have is bohemian lager yeast. So I guess this is real experiment!

Got to use up that residual stock before I order fresh stuff. These test runs are good though.

I moved this to a secondary yesterday. Started bubbling again last night and all day today.

Since it has lager yeast in I'm going to leave it another few days. In my haste I forgot to take a reading.

Looked and smelled just fine. purposely brought a little yeast up because despite its low gravity reading. Its has been a quiet brew.

This Weyermann Special W Malt 250 I bought 2 years ago, from our friends at geterbrewed none the less. Went out of date this time last year...smells....amazing!

It's like having chocolate digestives in porridge form. I'm tempted to keep the grain to make a loaf with.

I have used out of date crushed speciality grain and its been fine. Best of luck.

Well sinice I racked it into a secondary it's been bubbling away nicely. Hadn't really heard much activity from this one during primary. Seemed to go strong for a few days then went silent. It was using OOD MJ bohemian lager yeast.

I'm contemplating adding half kilo of DME to boost its final abv as I put to much cold water in at the beginning and watered it down some.

Anyone ever added DME to a secondary?

Back