Using Star San for the first time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
Long story, but here goes.

I spotted Star San today in my LHBS, ive heard good reviews about it on here many times, so decided to buy a bottle.
I though, blimey, it's expensive ..... until I read the instructions.. dilute 25ml to 10 litres.
This bottle will probably last me 2 or 3 years, so not as expensive as first thought.

I picked up a water sprayer from work, which incidentally is 1 litre, so I only needed 2.5ml of StarSan to fill it.

Not wanting to sound like Ronnie Corbett so..... my story really goes along the lines:

I'm going mobile tomorrow, I'm taking my equipment over to my cousins house and we are having a brew day at his. (he's really keen to see how it works).
I've made up my 1 litre of StarSan in my squirter/sprayer, how long will it keep in its diluted form ?
I assume that it will still be able to work it's magic in the morning ?

and can I really just spray everything and use without rinsing ?

Assuming the solution is clear the starsan lasts ages in dilute form. personally I'd make sure everything is clean then use the starsan as the last step. then yes, spray stuff or steep stuff and drain with no need to rinse. If you have any equipment that looks a bit manky then I'd use something chlorinated like vwp first unless you are using stainless steel vessels in which case I'd use sodium percarbonate first. If your equipment is clean then starsan should do the job..it's a great product.

Assuming the solution is clear the starsan lasts ages in dilute form. personally I'd make sure everything is clean then use the starsan as the last step. then yes, spray stuff or steep stuff and drain with no need to rinse. If you have any equipment that looks a bit manky then I'd use something chlorinated like vwp first unless you are using stainless steel vessels in which case I'd use sodium percarbonate first. If your equipment is clean then starsan should do the job..it's a great product.

what tartan said...

+ph of star san solution should be 3 or less.

TS i have never used Star San but i was under the impression if mixed with tap water it goes cloudy but with bottled water it doesn't, happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

Chippy...hi, yes.. if you mix it with hard water it goes cloudy and will not be effective thus my comment on cloudiness. I have a water softener so despite being in an ultra hard water area I can use my tap water. Otherwise you'll need to use one of the softer bottled waters (waitrose or Eden falls) or distilled water or the water that you collect from dehumidifiers.

Latest posts

Back