Using whisky bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dode

Reaction score
One of my neighbours is a very definite whisky man, and he tends to buy it in half bottles. I've asked him if I can have his empty's, with a view to rinsing them out and then filling them up with a brew. Are there any possible problems with using an old whisky bottle, apart from the savings? So far, I've filled three bottles out of the PB and put them in the fridge. I'm looking forward to enjoying them cold, cold, cold, which I can't have with the PB at the mo'. Anything regarding?

Last edited:
They're not pressure safe. If you bottle carbed in them there's the possiblity of baaaaad.

Hi!
I might as well be the third woe - don't use them!
If you want to chill beer out of your PB use empty pop bottles - 500ml Coke* bottles are ideal.

*Other brands of pop are available :D

Agree with others. In short only put beer into a bottle that is intended to be used for a fizzy drink, whether its new or not. And if its PET its probably a good idea to chuck them out after a few uses, although that may not apply so much to homebrew PET bottles like Coopers.

At just £3 for 100 crown caps and with bottles essentially FOC (collect from recycling centres, pubs, neighbours, after parties, etc) you'd be as well bottling as normal.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Unfortunate, as a screw top could last a long time and I wouldn't run out of crown caps. Will probably buy a few swing tops instead, as they're reusableaunsure....

Will probably buy a few swing tops instead, as they're reusableaunsure....
They cost a fortune and the seals do need replaced eventually.

When I do rarely bottle, there's no compromise and it's crown caps all day long. Would hate to spend 2-6 weeks making a nice brew for it to potentially spoil just because i tried to save £1 or so.

When I do rarely bottle, there's no compromise and it's crown caps all day long. Would hate to spend 2-6 weeks making a nice brew for it to potentially spoil just because i tried to save £1 or so.
Point taken, crown caps here we come:thumba:

Not a bad price, Ghillie. Just spotted a reasonable price for 500ml bottles on amazon, guess I might as well get them and the crowns in for Christmas.
How much were the bottles? I'd try and scrounge them if you can, free is best and it's the prime time of year for getting bottles as everyone is on the bevvy. Pubs are a good shout too.

Depending on the price of empty bottles, sometimes you're just as well to pay a little bit more in the supermarket and get a bottle that has beer in it!

How much were the bottles? I'd try and scrounge them if you can, free is best and it's the prime time of year for getting bottles as everyone is on the bevvy. Pubs are a good shout too.

Depending on the price of empty bottles, sometimes you're just as well to pay a little bit more in the supermarket and get a bottle that has beer in it!
You're right, free always tastes better.

Wilkinson's have bottle caps for £1 for 50. But don't buy their capper, it's cack. For a hand/wing whatever your species has then look at one like this. A lot of us have that type. You might want a bench capper but the way I do it I can put a row of caps on in under 2 seconds per bottle so I don't need one.

Wilkinson's have bottle caps for £1 for 50. But don't buy their capper, it's cack. For a hand/wing whatever your species has then look at one like this. A lot of us have that type. You might want a bench capper but the way I do it I can put a row of caps on in under 2 seconds per bottle so I don't need one.
I own the very same one and cannot fault it.

FWIW - I bought a Ferrari bench capper, but I still prefer the twin lever one... Maybe I'm just weird.

35 p. each when bought by the 100, spare rubber rings 7 p. each when bought by the 100. And a plus: if the pressure gets too high, they can function as a valve.

But if you're capping, get a bench capper.

35 p. each when bought by the 100, spare rubber rings 7 p. each when bought by the 100. And a plus: if the pressure gets too high, they can function as a valve.

But if you're capping, get a bench capper.
I was meaning the bottles themselves cost a fortune.

I own a bench capper and a twin lever capper. I actually prefer the latter, but I use the bench one because I forked out for it:laugh8:

I get my caps from wilko because I walk past the one in Kingston so often

a screw top could last a long time
Hi @Dode
I got the impression from your OP that you carbonate your beer in the PB and simply use bottles to transfer to the fridge immediately prior to drinking.
If so, going down the route of glass bottles and crown caps may be an unnecessary expense.
I recommended screw-top bottles as they are the same size as commercial beer bottles (500ml) and smaller ones are available.

Back