Vaccine Problem?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apart from all the scare stories about the anti-Covid 19 vaccine, apparently there is an alcohol ban for up to one week before receiving the vaccine and up to two weeks after receiving the vaccine!

According to what I've seen on the TV and what I have read on t'Internet a ban on alcohol is:
  • Not needed at all.
  • Needed in order for people to make the white blood cells that are required for the body to make the antibodies that the vaccine promotes.
Here's a link to both arguments!

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...sive-alcohol-use-near-the-time-of-vaccination
For myself (driven by SWMBO of course) I will cut out alcohol for the requisite three weeks. We had our first jabs today (so far no negative reactions 🤞) and the first week has been completed. I have to say that once I had got past the habit of "beer at lunch-time, wine with dinner and a dram before bed" and stopped reaching for the glass I'm finding it pretty painless ...

... but really looking forward to the 3rd February when the three weeks is up! :beer1:

Enjoy!

Temperance tossers Drink Aware, were guilty of spreading this story over here. Luckily, they have been politely put in their place by people who actually know what they are talking about. So, drink up @Dutto ! clapa

Drinking alcohol before or after having the coronavirus vaccine is unlikely to impact the effectiveness of the jab, experts have said.

It comes after Drink Aware issued guidance from its independent medical advisory panel warning people not to drink “at least two days before, and at least two weeks after” being vaccinated, “to ensure your immune system is at its best to respond to the vaccine and protect you”.

The comments were made by Dr Fiona Sim in her capacity as chair of the advisory panel. She is also a Senior Clinical Adviser at NHS England and a visiting professor at the University of Bedfordshire.

The Drink Aware guidance adds there is “little data” about the impact of alcohol on the effectiveness of the Covid-19 vaccine.

But Dr Sim states: “Chronic heavy drinking reduces immune protection, and specifically for respiratory infections, which includes Covid-19.

“For greatest benefit from the vaccine, it is prudent for you not to drink any alcohol for a few days before, and for at least two weeks after, you've been vaccinated.”

But other experts have said this is not necessary and is not recommended in the labelling of the Pfizer or AstraZeneca jabs.

“It wouldn’t affect the immune response to be honest,” Dr Gillies O'Bryan-Tear, of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine, said.

“People who drink heavily are somewhat immunosuppressed… (but) it’s certainly not advice around vaccinations I am aware of.”

He added that Drink Aware “must have scientific reasons” for issuing the advice, but added: “From my point of view I can’t see why they’ve recommended that”.

“We would not deny the vaccination to alcoholics,” he said. “It'll still work, they still need to be protected.”

Professor Gary McLean, of the School of Human Sciences at London Metropolitan University and a visiting professor at Imperial College London, said getting “hammered” directly after taking the vaccine wouldn’t be advised.

But added “usual drinking within guidelines wouldn't be wouldn't be too negative” on a person’s immune system and is unlikely to impact the effectiveness of the Covid vaccine.

It is also not recommended to avoid alcohol days before the seasonal flu jab, he added.

“I wouldn't say that having a couple of pints before getting a flu vaccine would be too negative on the effects of the vaccine. It just doesn't make sense to me,” he told The Telegraph.

Binge drinking can impact your immune system from working at its best for a period, but coronavirus vaccines have been designed to release an immune response “slowly over time… it’s not going to be all at once,” Prof McLean said.

Adding that: “A normal, healthy lifestyle, with minimal drinking is okay for the vaccine to have an effect.”

Dr Stephen Baker, of Cambridge University, said alcohol can have “suppressive effects” on the body’s immune response.

But he added: “As with all things in moderation, a moderate amount of alcohol is probably not going to do a lot of damage, but going out on a large bender the day before or post-immunisation for any vaccine is probably not a good idea.”

Dr Mary Ramsay, Head of Immunisation at PHE said: “Drinking a small amount of alcohol, in line with the CMOs low risk guidelines, has not been shown to impair the immune system.

“There is no published scientific evidence of the effect of alcohol before and after (the) vaccine on the immune response to Covid-19 vaccination but it is advisable not to drink heavily before being vaccinated.”

I will take my chances then :laugh8:

Just kidding.

THe amount of nonsense I se posted on social media about the vaccine containing aluminium and mercury wtf.. this is the least of the worries

Everyone I know that has had the injection wasn't given 7 days notice, in some cases just over 12 hours notice. Plus surely this gors for all vaccinations.

I’m not sure where I read it but apparently it’s a myth that you need to avoid alcohol when on antibiotics too. It seems this info was given back in the day when 90% antibiotics were being prescribed for the treatment of STDs and was used as a way to reduce the risk of them having a drink, losing their inhibitions and sleeping around until the infection was gone.

I was given 10 minutes notice before I had mine and had a good drink the night before,all went fine.

i do believe there is some truth in the don't drink when taking antibiotics advice as I think it reduces their efficiency.

i do believe there is some truth in the don't drink when taking antibiotics advice as I think it reduces their efficiency.

Most you'll be fine with and they'll largely still work. Metronidazole and alcohol is a no-no though, unless you want to feel awful.

I have taken some antibiotics where is was specified on the information not to drink as it could cause a reaction but I think it's only one or two types.

Incidentally when I was going through all the diagnosis for my respiratory condition I was so scared that I had cancer I ended up getting put on tablets for anxiety which did have a no drinking condition attached. To be honest at the time I wasn't really fancying the drink much anyway as not sleeping due to coughing all the time didn't exactly make me feel great.

I don't know if it was laying off the booze, the anxiety drugs, or both, but my condition eased quite a bit over the next few months. Lost quite a bit of weight too. So maybe not drinking too much is sensible where respiratory conditions are concerned.

When they'd finally figured out what was wrong with me (not cancer!) I stopped the anxiety medication and started to drink again after probably 2-3 months, that in itself was pretty amazing as it felt like my taste buds had been rebooted 😀

I see a fire has broken out at the worlds largest COVID 19 vaccine producing plant in India. You couldn’t write it could you?

Edit: They have reported that the vaccine rollout will not be affected

You are OK with the vaccine and alcohol. If you weren't the roll out would be very different and it will have been checked during clinical trials.

Most you'll be fine with and they'll largely still work. Metronidazole and alcohol is a no-no though, unless you want to feel awful.
I was told that is like a sub group of a drug that was made to stop people drinking so much. Like alcoholics and the like.

i.e you take it and if you have a drink you feel like ****, hence no drink lol.

Like that anti smoking chewing gum they used to sell, I delive it worked and made ciggies taste awful.

Got pfizer vaccine on tuesday. Nothing in the bumpf about not drinking. A lot about allergies, pregnancy and yardy ya. However downing a litre of spirits is not going to help

Gotta say really professional service from NHS from the back of queue to out in less than 35 minutes (including the 15 minute sit down to make sure if you go into shock there is a nurse there)but the IT systems sucked they'd more or less gone back to paper.

I am at the moment feeling on top of world as covid ends for me mid to late April at least for 6-9 months wooo hoo

Last edited:
Antibiotics and Alcohol.

Just before Christmas I had an abscess in my mouth when I was in my early twenties. The dentist gave me a prescription for antibiotics. He then took it back off me and doubled the dose. I asked why. He said it’s Christmas and you’ll probably **** most of it out of you as you drink yourself daft over the next week or so.

Ciggies naturally taste awful. Smokers just try really hard to get used to that taste and eventually do.

The problem is and speaking from experience once you get used to the taste it becomes a nice taste and a very hard habit to break

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back