Vanilla and Bourbon Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisD123

Reaction score
Made this at the weekend roughly the same as GH recipe and am going to add some honey bourbon to it, it also calls for vanilla pods...so whats the best way of adding, not sure about steeping in vodka as am going to be adding bourbon...could I steep in the bourbon and do it that way or should I just chuck them in. The bourbon addition (400ml) is added just before bottling.
Thanks

I used vanilla extract rather than much about with pods. If I'd used pods then soaking them in the bourbon would probably be a decent plan. The vanilla was evident to start with but faded really quickly, fortunately, as a bourbon stout it's still excellent. I made mine with Voss kveik, turning around a 7.5% stout in a couple of weeks amazed the folks at the homebrew club I frequented back then.

Made this at the weekend roughly the same as GH recipe and am going to add some honey bourbon to it, it also calls for vanilla pods...so whats the best way of adding, not sure about steeping in vodka as am going to be adding bourbon...could I steep in the bourbon and do it that way or should I just chuck them in. The bourbon addition (400ml) is added just before bottling.
Thanks
If steeping in vodka is the way to go wouldn't worry too much about the fact your adding JD as well. Say 100ml of vodka will be negligible in 40 pints.

Thanks.
It says add 2 pods after 4 days and leave for a week, then add bourbon before bottling

I'm going to make this myself tomorrow, like @Zephyr259 with Voss also. Out of interest mate, did you ferment it low? How did you find it in this brew?

For the vanilla, I'll make a tincture with vodka and Chuck it in with the bourbon when I keg it

It was only my second time using boss and I have a farmhouse multistrain from Norway. It's good but my strain is very earthy and I don't get the orange and spice it's known for. I fermented it in the high 30s and it got done in a couple of days and was drinking very well within a few weeks given the beer was 7% and 7.5% with the bourbon.

My wife just opened the last 2 bottles on Wednesday evening and both gushed, but then it was 2.5 years old now.

Latest posts

Back