Vanish oxi action as PBW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
I ran out of pbw so I've been using vanish oxi action in its place. Is this ill advised? It does a great job of removing all debris

I'm a bit nervous, not about the inevitable beating I'm going to take from the wife when she finds out I've been stealing it, but that it has perfume in. Not sure I'd enjoy cotton fresh IPA (or maybe that's the next big thing??)

Has anyone used it, is there an "off the supermarket shelf" non-perfumed version anyone has used, or is it best to just get some made for purpose stuff?

I think that for cleaners with perfume there is always the possibility that the perfume stays for a while on certain plastic surfaces. I have had this with dishwasher cleaners on plastics and silicone materials. It disappears, but it takes some time, and not washing anymore with perfumed cleaners. For glass or stainless steel there should be no problem, maybe rinse a bit more with clean water.

I ran out of pbw so I've been using vanish oxi action in its place. Is this ill advised? It does a great job of removing all debris

I'm a bit nervous, not about the inevitable beating I'm going to take from the wife when she finds out I've been stealing it, but that it has perfume in. Not sure I'd enjoy cotton fresh IPA (or maybe that's the next big thing??)

Has anyone used it, is there an "off the supermarket shelf" non-perfumed version anyone has used, or is it best to just get some made for purpose stuff?
Wilcos is cheap and non perfumed

I use the Wilko own brand as well it’s great for cleaning out fermenting vessels or kegs, it’s great for removing any organic matter.

I've been using Vanish Oxi Action Crystal White powder cleaner (dissolve 1 scoop in 4 litres luke-warm water) for several years, and it works great. Excellent cleaning action, and no bleach or perfume smells. It also contains some protease enzymes that help remove any protein deposits, providing your mixing water is not too hot to kill these enzymes. Make sure you rinse the FV vessel thoroughly with water afterwards, because it is basically a detergent. And then give a final spray with Starsan to sanitise (without a rinse).

But take care, because Vanish markets several types of Oxi Clean, many having perfumes included, which would not be suitable especially for plastic FVs. Just check the small print ingredients label first.

When I worked with a Swiss chemistry company many years ago, I discovered that generic chemicals are often re-packaged at different dilutions or with different additives for different end uses (and sold at very different final prices!). Such is the case with sodium percarbonate and surfactant detergents which are the active ingredients in Vanish Oxi Clean for fabric stain removal, or other commercial cleaning agents for brewing equipment.

I’ve just bought this one. It doesn’t list any perfumes do you think it ok to use?

3FD54C85-131C-4E84-A3B5-0E65A580C396.jpeg
505CB428-31AC-47B5-8367-811AE63C4515.jpeg
AD299288-F661-4BDD-BF59-270868B15538.jpeg

Latest posts

Back