Vanish oxi clean.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stings27

Reaction score
Hi all.
Bought a tub of this from local supermarket to clean my corny kegs.
When I got home and open it I noticed it was perfumed , tho it didn’t state on the label.
I know contact time in cleaning a keg is a matter of minutes so will this still be ok to use? Obviously it will have a good rinse out with cold water after and then sanitised
Thanks 👍

Having read many threads about this i would say no, take it back and show them it doesn't say perfumed and you need non perfumed.

Hi all.
Bought a tub of this from local supermarket to clean my corny kegs.
When I got home and open it I noticed it was perfumed , tho it didn’t state on the label.
I know contact time in cleaning a keg is a matter of minutes so will this still be ok to use? Obviously it will have a good rinse out with cold water after and then sanitised
Thanks 👍
Don't try it! Consign it to the laundry and get some unperfumed stuff (preferably straight sodium percarbonate).

The reason for the perfume is to mask any remaining "stale" stink from the percarbonate. (Yes it does stink so don't believe the advice that it is "no rinse"). And that perfume has been selected to do its duty even after several rinses in a washing machine.

Cheers Clint !👍👍🍻🍻

Attachments

• C9CE80AB-43B1-46DC-B02C-08CA25891E84.jpeg
    C9CE80AB-43B1-46DC-B02C-08CA25891E84.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 99
Meant asking , how much do you use ?
when I had Oxi-clean I used half a scoop to a gallon of warm water.

What @Clint says is right, although for me it became a matter of necessity. I allowed myself to be tempted into 25 kilos of the stuff (and it didn't work out cheaper). So it gets used for all sorts: Cleaning dish-washers, coffee-makers, baked on oven-wear crud, etc. The sort of things you spend fortunes on for the "propriety" cleaners (which are often oxy-like formulations anyway).

I use 10g per litre after @Sadfield suggested it. Doesn't seem it but it really is aggressive (forms hydrogen peroxide) so keep it off your skin and never get it in your eyes. The sack I had suggested 10x the above which would probably clean the grease off hydraulic diggers!

As with the propriety cleaners; just dump it on the washer's floor (the tablet door wont hold any decent amount). Use the hottest cycle, unless also doing dishes that can't hack the temperature (my washer goes up to 70C).

I thought I’d try cleaning a hop bag that was sat for a few days full of pellet detritus. Wow! The water went green and lots of hop oil globules appeared. I used the Wilko version and am now a convert. No more VWP for me 👍

Back