VAR

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Listening to crystal Palace v Southampton and the ref just gave a straight red, the players voiced their surprise and the commentators said it was a yellow, the ref decided to replay the incident at the side of the pitch and to his credit downgraded it to a yellow, i believe they have been told to do this more this season as they were still getting a lot of decisions wrong last season.

Please comment if you are a football fan and have a view on VAR not if you dislike football in general, thanks.

Goalkeeper encroachment on penalty kicks

From the 2020/21 season, there will be no tolerance on goalkeeper encroachment from penalty kicks which will inevitably result in more retakes.

If a goalkeeper saves from 12 yards but has stepped off their goal line before the shot, VAR will order a retake of the penalty.

This will not apply if the penalty is missed without the interference of the goalkeeper (if the ball is hit over the bar, for example).

Player encroachment on penalty kicks

Similarly, there will be no tolerance for player encroachment.

So, if any part of the player’s body that is on the ground is inside the penalty area when the ball is kicked, then the penalty will be retaken.

However, as with goalkeepers, this will only apply if the player who has encroached is directly involved in the aftermath of the penalty (for example, clearing the ball after the goalkeeper's save or hitting the woodwork).

Keeping the flag down for tight marginal offside offences

Assistant referees will be asked to keep their flag down for any goalscoring chances, to prevent any incorrect offside calls.

Unlike 2019/20, where players were told to ignore the flag and play to the whistle, assistant referees will not raise their flag and VAR will review any marginal offside decision to ensure the correct outcome is reached.

Offsides

There will be no change to the offside rules and no tolerance levels will be allowed.

Although, on tight calls, fans watching the game on the TV will be able to see if a player is on or offside via the colours of the lines shown.

Should a player be onside, the line will turn green, or will alternatively turn red if a player is offside.

Last edited:
While I'm not much of a football supporter I do love rugby, and we've used the TMO system for years now, and while it's not perfect it puts VAR to shame - VAR was shambolic last season.

The problem isn't (usually) technical, it's purely poor implementation and a lack of consistency of application. The use of VAR for offside has been daft, with marginal decisions taking an age to decide. This could be fixed easily, if it's borderline then give the decision in favour of the attacking side.

Video assistance is never going away though, not now so much money rides on each decision. I can't believe there wasn't a legal challenge after the goal line technology failed in the Villa / Sheffield United game given the effect it had on the final league standings.

VAR was a farce last season, their decisions were massively inconsistent, with one challenge upgraded to a red, and an identical looking challenge not even looked at.

I agree with @Linalmeemow that TMO is vastly superior, but it seems to be used after almost every try these days, and the game is slowed down by it much more than it used to be.

This season seems to be more promising already. It's vital the right decision is made, and if it takes 45 seconds for a referee to go to a screen and check, I'm all for it. Last season, it was taking 4 minutes to watch 3 seconds of film forwards and backwards and come to the wrong decision anyway.