Varifocals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve just been prescribed varifocal after only wearing glasses for reading, I can see my wrist watch and the telly but struggle to view my Ipad, does this get better and if so how long does it take to get used to them.

TIA,
London

I've had them for about 2 years. Absolutely hate them. Ok - I can see clearly all ranges of vision but they distort things so bad unless you look absolutely straight ahead. I can drive in them and day to day stuff is ok but to read a book I have to use reading glasses and to watch TV I have to wear distance glasses. I won't be getting another pair when my eyesight requires a change.

I've had them for about 2 years. Absolutely hate them. Ok - I can see clearly all ranges of vision but they distort things so bad unless you look absolutely straight ahead. I can drive in them and day to day stuff is ok but to read a book I have to use reading glasses and to watch TV I have to wear distance glasses. I won't be getting another pair when my eyesight requires a change.
Have you tried bifocals?

I think the problem is with the type of varifocals.
My first were rubbish (and fairly cheap); however the replacements were fantastic, but cost almost twice as much.
It's probably a lesson in.. you get what you pay for 😁

My first pair, from my usual opticians, was great, though definitely not cheap. When it was time for a new prescription, I baulked at the cost and went to Specsavers where I spent less and got two pairs. They weren't very good, as above, ok straight ahead but poor otherwise. Straight back to my usual optician. Expensive mistake.

My first pair, from my usual opticians, was great, though definitely not cheap. When it was time for a new prescription, I baulked at the cost and went to Specsavers where I spent less and got two pairs. They weren't very good, as above, ok straight ahead but poor otherwise. Straight back to my usual optician. Expensive mistake.

Did you go for the best quality varifocal lenses from Specsavers or one of their cheaper options?

My opticians (Lauder & Rees) talked me into buying some very high quality 'occupational' lenses which are a bit like weak varifocals - I really couldn't get on with them initially, but it's true you do get used to them after a month or two.

I have had varifocals for a few years now. I am on my second pair. Both times I have gone for mid range ones, they take a few days to get used to but are then fine.

When I first had Varifocal lenses I couldn't get on with them so returned them but then recently I tried them again but purchased the top lenses rather than the middle of the road ones and they are much better. The biggest issue I have is with the mid distance area of the lenses is very narrow so they arent great for computer use but for day to day use watching TV or driving and reading they are great. I can use them for short time computer use but if I am working on my PC for any length of time I change to my "PC glasses". I think it is work giving them time to get used to.

When I first had Varifocal lenses I couldn't get on with them so returned them but then recently I tried them again but purchased the top lenses rather than the middle of the road ones and they are much better. The biggest issue I have is with the mid distance area of the lenses is very narrow so they arent great for computer use but for day to day use watching TV or driving and reading they are great. I can use them for short time computer use but if I am working on my PC for any length of time I change to my "PC glasses". I think it is work giving them time to get used to.
May I ask where you got the top lenses from? I knew nothing when I was prescribed my first pair about a year ago and I think I paid a hundred and something for the lenses from an independent high street place. Like you I've got used to them but still get irritated that the middle area isn't very wide. There are places online like lensology that offer some that promise big improvements but they aren't cheap.

May I ask where you got the top lenses from? I knew nothing when I was prescribed my first pair about a year ago and I think I paid a hundred and something for the lenses from an independent high street place. Like you I've got used to them but still get irritated that the middle area isn't very wide. There are places online like lensology that offer some that promise big improvements but they aren't cheap.
Specsavers, they have various levels of lenses and it does make a big difference if you go with the best lens they do, the middle area is still narrower than I would like but it much wider than with the cheaper lens option. I spent over £300 but I did get 2 pair for that.

Adding my voice to the value of the better grade of Specsavers varifocal glasses, sadly I've been using varifocal glasses and multifocal contact lenses for the last couple of years. The glasses are brilliant and I no longer notice the variable areas of the lenses they work so well. The multifocal contacts are a bit weird and take a while to adapt to each time I use them. A key issue for me with the contact lenses is the near vision really doesn't work in low light levels for me so I can't use them on those days I work in the hospital in the evenings or on home visits.

As a troubled varifocal wearer, i can relate to this thread. I feel there are a few factors at play. The quality of the lens, the adjustability of the frames and most importantly the skill of the fitter.

It does take time to get used to them. Like camera lenses there are different qualities of lenses, some you can cope with others are just cheap.

I've worn varifocals for as long as I can remember now. They have improved as time had moved on.
The one thing I would recommend is to go for the best version that the optician has. You should find that they offer a better mid distance graduation than cheaper options.

I've used independent opticians, Specsavers and my latest supplier is Asda 🤷‍♂️, suitable lenses but at a sensible price.

I've made the mistake of picking the cheaper options with the lenses that have poor midrange in the past and suffered because of it.

Hope you get used to them 👍

Hi @London

As others have said, you will get there it just takes a little while to get used to them ... and, you may have already worked this out, but it does help if you start consciously thinking about moving your head until you get what you're looking at in focus, at least until it becomes more natural ... as a friend advised me when I first got my first pair "You have to make sure you point your nose at what you're looking at" athumb..

Although, the other thing to check ... when you say you "struggle to view my Ipad", have you checked that you CAN get the screen in focus. By tilting your head up and down until you're looking through the appropriate bit of the lens? ... MrsB had problems with her previous set of new varifocals when she first got them, just couldn't get that sort of middle distance stuff (tablets/computer screens) in focus. So she went back to the opticians who discovered that a typo ("copying from the prescription system into the ordering system" :confused.: ) meant they'd made the lenses to the wrong spec. They re-made the glasses which sorted the problem, but it does show that mistakes can happen. So if you literally can't get things into focus, don't assume it's just you not getting used to them :?:

Cheers, PhilB

I thought I needed varifocals when I had to take my glasses off to read a book/Kindle, so when I had my last test I said to the optician that I probably needed varifocals for reading. After doing all the testing he said to me - "You've already got varifocals" to which I replied "Eh?" he then took my glasses off and went "There you go"
He then went on to explain that although he shouldn't feel gulity about taking £200-£300 off of me for a pair of varifocals (premium type) he just didn't see the point of me spending that kind of money as long as I was happy to take off my glasses when I have extended reading to do.

I have had varifocals for a couple of years now. The first time I tried them, I really struggled with headaches and being able to see distant things in focus eg. TV. It transpired that they hadn't been set up correctly. When the optician adjusted the they were fine. That said, I have just realised that I am typing this with my glasses perched on top of my head.

Latest posts

Back