Vaseline in fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry Bloomfield

Regular.
Reaction score
Much of my wine making kit, I bought as a second hand package from someone who was having to give the hobby up to move into a old peoples home. Included with the kit was a pot of Vaseline and I'm now wondering if that might have had some purpose in the hobby? I have slight trouble with a FV tap spigot leaking slightly sometimes, would it help to smear some on threads? The half turn tap is rather tight to use, is it worthwhile smearing some on the shaft of the tap? The oddly shaped bung for the airlock of my 5gallon FV leaks slightly, worth smearing around the bung? The plastic lid of the FV is a very tight fit and even harder to remove - worth smearing some around the lip?

Any reasons not to?

I have slight trouble with a FV tap spigot leaking slightly sometimes
I've never had a PB but have seen on another post about them that if the tap leaks from the spout not where it connects to the keg then you can actually remove the tap piece (shaft) from the unit an put some vaseline on the shaft (snigger ye not) insert the tap shaft back into the unit and wipe off the excess and this stops it dripping.

I've never had a PB but have seen on another post about them that if the tap leaks from the spout not where it connects to the keg then you can actually remove the tap piece (shaft) from the unit an put some vaseline ides taught me when I was in the Scon the shaft (snigger ye not) insert the tap shaft back into the unit and wipe off the excess and this stops it dripping.
I think you're talking about the wooden taps that get banged into casks. Not sure that's what the OP is talking about. Still, waxing your shaft ("titter ye not") can't do any harm. "Be prepared" as the Guides taught me when I was in the Scouts.

Hi Wherry!

First, taps. There are several types, I’ve pictured the two most commonly supplied. If you use the tap on the left you can forget my comment about using Vaseline on the tap.

View attachment 26538

If you have the tap on the right then a good smear of Vaseline is needed to stop the tap from constantly dripping. Pull the tap out of the body, a good smear of Vaseline, replace it, and wipe away the excess.

View attachment 26540

View attachment 26539

View attachment 26541

View attachment 26542

View attachment 26543
This is the post I was on about

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back