Veganuary.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the RSPCA's official twitter feed they stated in 2018, "We're not calling for a ban of Halal or Kosher but a full ban on non-stun slaughter. With around 84% of halal animals already being pre-stunned and certified as halal it highlights that humane slaughter and religious purpose can work together."

https://twitter.com/rspca_official/status/1034423700144185350?lang=en

I think that was actually based on data from 2012. RSPCA needs to get its act together and say where its numbers come from.

On the RSPCA's official twitter feed they stated in 2018, "We're not calling for a ban of Halal or Kosher but a full ban on non-stun slaughter. With around 84% of halal animals already being pre-stunned and certified as halal it highlights that humane slaughter and religious purpose can work together."

https://twitter.com/rspca_official/status/1034423700144185350?lang=en

I think that was actually based on data from 2012. RSPCA needs to get its act together and say where its numbers come from.
What about the other 16%? That's a lot of suffering.

My experience tells me that most who cry foul of Halal, do not share your concerns over cruelty, but rather like to use it as a further reason to justify their hatred.

They sounds like a bit of an uncharitable generalisation to me, but I suspect we shall have to agree to disagree.

If you think about it if they ban Halal meat the big chains would lose at least one third of their of core sales, ie maccys burger king subway the big supermarkets all the eaterys, they can deny it all they want they are all selling it, like Mmebeer said its good to have a choice, I would love a section were its non halal in the supermarket, and by the way I have no predjudice towards anyone I would just like a choice

Depends which RSPCA figures you look at. The 58% included kosher as well, and as discussed above, stunning isn't permitted for those.

I agree that there should be more transparency over method of slaughter, but I also think that objections over Halal are overblown given that the vast majority of slaughter is done after the animal is stunned. If someone wants their meat blessed, who am I to argue. It's ******* stupid, but as long as the slaughter standards are the same I couldn't care less.

My experience tells me that most who cry foul of Halal, do not share your concerns over cruelty, but rather like to use it as a further reason to justify their hatred.
It has nothing to do with hatred I me couldn't give a flying f--k I would just like a choice in what I buy that goes in my body my choice, if people want to eat halal meat fine just don't tell me I hate people who do I don't, and they say we play the race card ********

They sounds like a bit of an uncharitable generalisation to me, but I suspect we shall have to agree to disagree.

Possibly. I've probably been perusing the cesspit of social media and newspaper comment sections too much. Makes for very grim reading.

images

Soylent - It's people food.:laugh8:

It has nothing to do with hatred I me couldn't give a flying f--k I would just like a choice in what I buy that goes in my body my choice, if people want to eat halal meat fine just don't tell me I hate people who do I don't, and they say we play the race card ********

Care to share what you think Halal meat is? I'll give you a clue... It's the same as every other meat. It's just a certification that says it's ok for Muslims to eat. It's no different.

If you object to someone showing up at a slaughterhouse to bless the animals (which is pretty much all Halal means these days) then I'd suggest your objections run deeper than the welfare of the animal.

For what it's worth I think that not stunning animals prior to slaughter is barbaric and should have been outlawed years ago. Then again, the killing of any animal just for our culinary gratification is pretty grim which ever way you look at it. I eat meat, and yes, I am a colossal hypocrite.

Care to share what you think Halal meat is? I'll give you a clue... It's the same as every other meat. It's just a certification that says it's ok for Muslims to eat. It's no different.

You keep repeating that, but it just isn't accurate. Presently, the consumer has absolutely no means whatever of determining if meat labeled as Helal was stunned before slaughter or not, and this will continue to be the case until either labeling standards are updated, or non stun slaughter is banned in the UK altogether.

You keep repeating that, but it just isn't accurate. Presently, the consumer has absolutely no means whatever of determining if meat labeled as Helal was stunned before slaughter or not, and this will continue to be the case until either labeling standards are updated, or non stun slaughter is banned in the UK altogether.

Food Standards agency number is 88%. That's still 12% too many and it should be stopped. I also think that minimum living standards need vast improvement, something which, bizarrely enough, is rarely brought up by those who won't eat Halal despite being ignorant to what it actually entails in the UK.

If the supermarkets labelled meat as non-halal would people be happier? The supermarkets could sell kosher instead. All meat slaughtered in Scotland is pre-stunned. But not all Scottish meat.

One poster here said, "Presently, the consumer has absolutely no means whatever of determining if meat labeled as Helal was stunned before slaughter or not"

This just isn't true. If people are adamant that they wish to avoid meat that is slaughtered without stunning they have only to ask the supermarkets or read up on the supermarket's animal welfare policy.

Tesco, for example, says........

"We require all slaughter processes for Tesco own label products to meet our stringent animal welfare requirements, without exception. In every case, the animal is stunned before slaughter.

We do, however, in a small number of stores, sell branded meat or host concessions that sell un-stunned halal and kosher meat. This is to serve customers who specifically wish to purchase un-stunned meat. This meat is clearly labelled Halal or Kosher, so that our customers are able to make informed choices."

Last edited:
I would have thought that it was the isinglass finings, used commonly in wine and beer as a fining agent to remove yeast cells before bottling. Isinglass is collagen extracted from the swim bladder of certain fish. It could also be gelatin, also sometimes used in clearing. Very little of either, if any will make into the finsihed product. Tannins, or polypectins generally come from the grape skins, or are added from another plant source and are used to extend the life of the wine.
Thanks for that!

I don't think so. I would hazard a guess it's more to do with whether animal products are used as finings (clarifying agent). But what a load of old todgers. Are we to imagine that every bunch of grapes is rigorously inspected to make sure there are no ants or spiders in there before sending it to the press?
Did not factor in insects!!

Latest posts

Back