Vegetarians and Vegans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Why are Vegetarians accepted for what they are yet Vegans seem the butt of many jokes and are seen by some as nothing more than bandwagon jumping attention seekers, i don't know any vegans but did know one vegetarian many years ago who stooped eating meat as in his view killing animals to eat them is cruel, he did wear leather due to the fact the animals are killed for food not for their skin.

As a vegetarian trust me, we still get plenty of stick.
I think Veganism is very much in vogue at the moment and there's a lot of movement to accommodate them, which causes pushback.
My opinion is that both viewpoints are valid, as is eating meat. Live and let live and all that.

Totally agree with ClownPrince but may I also add that us meat eaters also get disapproval from some and only say some of the relevant other groups. I was talking to a young colleague only on Monday regards what I had done when I was younger career wise me being 61 and he being 25ish. When I told him my first job was as a junior manager at a slaughterhouse run by a multi-national in the 70's he was really interested and asked me what it entailed out of curiosity, whilst having this conversation another member of staff walked in then heard part of the conversation and then walked back out whilst passing comments regards what I had previously done so yes it does go the other way and by the way it was in the staff canteen and we were both on our breaks and the person who walked in wasn't so should not have even been there.

I may be wrong here and this is just the perception I get, not my opinoion . But I think the general perception is vegans tend to be a lot more vocal towards non vegans, so I am guessing this is some kind of like sid above.. pushback?

As a vegetarian trust me, we still get plenty of stick.

I didn't know that after all these years i thought everyone would have got used to vegetarians views on killing animals for food.

My opinion is that both viewpoints are valid, as is eating meat. Live and let live and all that.

Fair comment. thumb

Its good Steve when people can take the pi$$ out of each other in a friendly way its called banter (or bullying by the PC brigade)

Its good Steve when people can take the pi$$ out of each other in a friendly way its called banter (or bullying by the PC brigade)
He was at my house recently and I made a "plant-based" curry for him, but I wonder will he provide "meat-based" foods for me when I'm at his place next weekend. Somehow I doubt it :laugh8:

Do you know I think curries and chillies lend themselves to vegetarian or vegan meals and I try to have 2 meat free days a week if possible and thats usually what I have, In fact at lunch I had a sweet potato burger with cheese, saurkraut and pickled sliced peppers was lovely

Vegan food suits curries and other highly spiced food for one good reason - it doesn't have tasty meat in it!
Bloody tofu, I mean....come on!

But each to their own. My cousin runs the zero waste shop in Totnes. Proper commune living grass eating hippy, but she is happy and making a good living and I love her to bits.
Good fun winding her up though.

I once went totally vegetarian for nearly six weeks on an Indian Drill Ship; after carrying out a Health and Safety Inspection.

The Meat Room "Chopping Block" looked like some kind of Paul Daniels Magic Trick when I walked into the room and switched on the overhead light. The brown shimmering cover on the Chopping Block started to disappear as the thousands of cockroaches decided that they weren't too keen on the light; however, a few cockroaches (many pregnant females) still cowered in the quite large cracks in the Meat Block and only responded when I shone my torch on them.

I lost quite a lot of weight during my ten years working off and on in India and not one gram was lost was due to "the trots"!

The weight loss was mainly because the food was so highly spiced and although it was delicious, I spent many contemplative moments sat on the toilet thinking "I don't want to do this!" because of the heat around my nether regions!

Happy Days!

PS

Can someone tell me please why a Vegan OR a Vegetarian wishes to eat a meat flavoured product! I give you ...

https://www.petakids.com/food/delicious-vegan-meat/

... and again ask "WHY?"

Yes it is curious that they would be so keen have something that resembles meat so closely. Some of the major selling points seem to be exactly that.

Vegan bacon seasoning is a good one. Utterly baffling.

And whoever came up with that fake bacon rasher **** needs lobotomising. My god that is awful.

It’s quite interesting too because even people who’ve chosen to go vegetarian for moral reasons seem to buy these things, but surely it’s just a constant reminder of what they can’t have? Is it like a form of torture? Surely it would be better to eat things that didn’t resemble meat in any way whatsoever if you were desperate to morally distance yourself from it?

And what the hell is fake fish?!??

Had a mate stay for a couple of weeks who I knew was vegie. No probs at all- pizza, risotto, curry with paneer - all sorts of lovely things. Didn't miss meat at all.
Had another mate come round more recently who'd been gulled into this vegan nonsense: no milk, no cheese, no nothing much. There's only so much you can do with chick peas and spinach and, while we did our best, the lack of much substance soon began to tell and we sent him packing to eat dandelions and magic mushrooms.
While we're dyed in the wool carnivores, we get why people don't want to eat animals- especiaganslly knowing how they're tortured on many farms, but what's wrong with milk and milk products? Vegans are like religious fundamentalists, in my opinion. Lost sight of reality.

Food imitation names soon to be abolished
this from a meeting in april 2019 but as with all EU legislation it may take years to be in place

In a move that some MEPs suspect bears the fingerprints of the meat industry, the parliament’s agriculture committee this week approved a ban on producers of vegetarian food using nomenclature usually deployed to describe meat.

The protected designations would include steak, sausage, escalope, burger and hamburger, under a revised regulation that passed with 80% approval. The measures will now be voted on by the full parliament after May’s European elections, before being put to member states and the European commission.
So they will be eating veggie discs instead of burgers soon

additional veggie names that have been suggested
Out

Veggie burgers, quorn sausages, soya escalopes and seitan steaks.

In?
Veggie discs, quorn tubes, soya slices and seitan slabs.

Do what you like but don't expect me to do it or like it if it's not what you do.
Dutto's got it...why do V's want to eat stuff that looks,sounds or tastes vaguely like meat?
Hypocrisy?
So opposed but want to fit in?
It's very confusing...

Do what you like but don't expect me to do it or like it if it's not what you do.
Dutto's got it...why do V's want to eat stuff that looks,sounds or tastes vaguely like meat?
Hypocrisy?
So opposed but want to fit in?
It's very confusing...

This comes up all the time and I don't know why people have a hard time getting it. Many vegetarians and vegans love the taste of meat, but can't bring themselves to eat it on ethical grounds. Solution? Eat something that vaguely resembles it. There is a reason so many companies are striving to make non-meat products taste more meaty. Demand.

Latest posts

Back