Vegetarians and Vegans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well all i can say is a good meat based dish sets me up for the day,Working or not it kills the hunger.

Just a shame its now become a luxury----Century 21 Britain "cant beat it".

......... Many vegetarians and vegans love the taste of meat, but can't bring themselves to eat it on ethical grounds. .......

Arggh! Please God not "ethical grounds" again!

"Ethics" have absolutely nothing to do with the make up of a human being!

We are all "omnivores" which is why our jaws possess teeth that include incisors (for cutting up food), canines (for gripping and ripping food) and molars (for chewing food prior to swallowing). NONE of these were introduced into our skeleton in response to "ethics"!

In response to "ethics" a lot of use moved away from the use of animal fur, animal skins and other natural products: and introduced the micro-plastics that are now ruining the planet!

Also, may I ask why this alternative to meat is so expensive? e.g. from Tesco you can but the following:
  • Diced Beef = £8.34 a kilogram
  • Tofu Pieces = £15.63 a kilogram
  • Pork Sausages = £6.00 a kilogram
  • Quorn Sausages = £12.96 a kilogram

Arggh! Please God not "ethical grounds" again!

"Ethics" have absolutely nothing to do with the make up of a human being!

We are all "omnivores" which is why our jaws possess teeth that include incisors (for cutting up food), canines (for gripping and ripping food) and molars (for chewing food prior to swallowing). NONE of these were introduced into our skeleton in response to "ethics"!

In response to "ethics" a lot of use moved away from the use of animal fur, animal skins and other natural products: and introduced the micro-plastics that are now ruining the planet!

Also, may I ask why this alternative to meat is so expensive? e.g. from Tesco you can but the following:
  • Diced Beef = £8.34 a kilogram
  • Tofu Pieces = £15.63 a kilogram
  • Pork Sausages = £6.00 a kilogram
  • Quorn Sausages = £12.96 a kilogram

There is so much nonsense in this post I'm not sure I want to bother. Fwiw I'm no vegan or vegetarian, but it's embarrassing when people who eat meat tar all non-meat eaters with the same puritanical brush, and in same breath become so defensive that one has to question who is more fanatical.

We did indeed adapt to eating both meat and non-meat products, and the variety of teeth we possess were "introduced" as a response to what foods were available to us as hunter gatherers. Funnily enough, we also developed complex brains which gave us empathy and enabled us to make reasoned decisions on all manner of things. Ethics have everything to do with decisions we make in our everyday life. Murder ok? How about stealing?

If someone feels that they can't bring themselves to eat a product which has had to die for their enjoyment (and at this juncture of human development, it is enjoyment rather than through necessity) then who the hell are you, or anybody else, to question that decision?

On your final point, it's simple economics. Meat is cheaper because of the scale and level of competition.

Just out of interest I wonder how many big game hunters are vegan or vegetarian. Is that maybe purely a meat eaters "sport"?

Having worked at a slaughterhouse several summers being a poor student, next to a vegetarian(!), I can stand 100% of all vegetarians. But since some vegans called me a nazi for that, I have a quick and valid opinion about vegans too.

Just out of interest I wonder how many big game hunters are vegan or vegetarian. Is that maybe purely a meat eaters "sport"?

Over the years I have discovered that "Big Game Hunters" are mainly unthinking prats. These are the people who choose to kill or injure the larger species of bird, animal or fish in the dubious name of "sport".

Personally, I have shot, trapped or otherwise caught and consumed a wide variety of birds, animals and fish over the years and yet my greatest accolade came during a Post Graduate Diploma Course! athumb..

We were asked to indulge in a selection process entitled "Why I would like this person in MY lifeboat." during which, each person had to nominate someone to be in a lifeboat with them. One of the very first ladies in the group (a "Lady" no less) selected myself on the basis that I seemed to be intelligent, adept at making things and able to survive in a hostile environment.

I agreed to be in the ladies lifeboat and when asked "Why?" I replied "I don't think I would have any problems murdering her if we were ever down to our last biscuit; and I would probably eat well afterwards as well."

Lady Rosemary subsequently decided that "I was not a nice man." and changed her mind! :laugh8: :laugh8:

I suspect that Lady Rosemary was a vegetarian! :coat:

My wife was a full blown meat eater, she bacame pescetarian for a while until recently, when she has become (almost) full vegan, for health, moral and environmental issues.

I say almost because the 2 beers she likes most are erdinger and Guinness and both have fish guts in. She also has the odd half pint of my geletin fined beers. Many vegans would say she isn't vegan and she's fine with that.

I quite enjoy making vegan food, sometimes I cook some meat on the side for me or put cheese on top but I also don't mind trying the vegan alternatives. Vegan cheese is vile though. Yet to try one that doesn't taste like vomit.

I do find it funny how people get so wound up about what other people eat though.

Another argument for the meat alternatives is that on a practical level we don't want to plan 2 separate meals each night, so if I am having sausage, steak, burgers or chicken she will have a veggie alternative that fits. I have to be a bit more creative with the sauces at times to save making 2 different versions, but peppercorn and mushroom steak sauce made with oat milk is actually pretty good.

He was at my house recently and I made a "plant-based" curry for him, but I wonder will he provide "meat-based" foods for me when I'm at his place next weekend. Somehow I doubt it :laugh8:

My MIL is vegan and cooks me vegan food when I visit. But when she announces she is coming to us for Christmas no way I can get away with cooking her meat. Great now I have to cook two different meals in one small oven.

Nothing like a stress free Christmas

Used to love a steak,Not had one for over 5yrs now.
And a Turkey at Christmass,dont have that anymore.
Its not ethics its economics.

As a result of a road accident I am now on minimal working age benifits,Even Hienz beans are out of my price range,have to buy cheap alternatives.

Rice and pasta with tinned tomatoes is the order of the day.

Not long now till i get a pension YIPPEE.
Regrets yes I have a few,Mainly paying top rate tax for many years,Only to get bottom rate benifits.(Single person no kids you see.)
Yes its all my fault,(And dont I know it) I should have offshored my money decades ago.

Many vegetarians and vegans love the taste of meat, but can't bring themselves to eat it on ethical grounds. Solution? Eat something that vaguely resembles it. There is a reason so many companies are striving to make non-meat products taste more meaty. Demand.
Similar to why you can get low or no alcohol beer I suppose! I’d rather drink tap water.

As a result of a road accident I am now on minimal working age benifits,Even Hienz beans are out of my price range,have to buy cheap alternatives.

Regrets yes I have a few,Mainly paying top rate tax for many years,Only to get bottom rate benifits.(Single person no kids you see.)
Yes its all my fault,(And dont I know it) I should have offshored my money decades ago.

Sorry to hear that, reminds me of my student days living on pennies per day. If you can, invest in a few spices like paprika, chilli, cumin, dried mixed herbs and dried or fresh garlic and get big packs of dried beans and lentils.
Soak a handful of beans and lentils overnight and throw them in with your tinned tomatoes along with a grated carrot or 2 and a sprinkle of your spices. It'll make 2 meals worth (or you could bulk cook it to make enough for a few meals in one go) and cost pennies per portion.
I also used to make a pasta sauce with mushrooms, milk, chicken gravy granules and garlic. It's surprisingly nice.

Hope things look up for you soon!

Yes I do these things and belive me it helps it really does.
Thank you very much for your kind words fury_tea
Perhaps this forum is not the proper place to let off steam.
But Once again thankyou.

Its just with the recent cold things have been hard.(electric heating)
I would love to get back into work it provides so much more than money.
At least i did have a very good well paid job for many years, And travelled and seen the world on buisiness.
Many of todays young people wont have these opportunities

But there arnt many firms now looking to employ a 63yr old cripple.

I am a meat eater I love it but I also love veggies, I love all veg and have it all the time the greener the better, what I don't do is preach to people about meat, I could live without meat but I choose not to and I will never preach to anyone what they should or should not eat unlike vegans who are like bible bashers its our way or no way, sorry if this offends but it is what it is

What about offal, loads of nutrition, packed full of iron, I would go for a nice piece of calves liver sauteed in red wine with onions over a steak (used to be able to get a whole beef liver for $2.00) braised lambs hearts, tripe, kidneys though tripe is getting a little expensive over here. Slow roast brisket, or Silverside cooked in a slow cooker, lamb necks are as cheap as chips, good stew with dumplings lasts for 3 or 4 days. Good thing about having a frugal Yorkshire mother, it rubs off on you.
More chitterlings anyone?

I am a meat eater I love it but I also love veggies, I love all veg and have it all the time the greener the better, what I don't do is preach to people about meat, I could live without meat but I choose not to and I will never preach to anyone what they should or should not eat unlike vegans who are like bible bashers its our way or no way, sorry if this offends but it is what it is

No need to generalise. Some vegans and religious people are intolerable, some meat eaters and athiests are intolerable. Really, some people are intolerable.

A few years ago a friend of a friend moved to Australia. My friend asked if we'd meet him and his wife.
We did. Although we had no idea he was a vegetarian, and so was his wife supposedly . He was weird on so many levels it's not funny.
When they came to our place he'd bring food for them, but she'd want to eat our meat.
Then one of his mates emigrated. He was a veggie and weird too.
We sort of remained friends for 3 or 4 years before my patience ran so thin I couldn't deal with it any longer.
At the time these two were the only vegetarians I knew and they were both WEIRD.

Since that time my daughter had brought a few of her teenage friends home who are veggies.
They're fine. I try to go out of my way to feed them and they seem OK, but my now former mate. Weird.
He really is the kind of person who gives veggies a bad name.

A few years ago a friend of a friend moved to Australia. My friend asked if we'd meet him and his wife.
We did. Although we had no idea he was a vegetarian, and so was his wife supposedly . He was weird on so many levels it's not funny.
When they came to our place he'd bring food for them, but she'd want to eat our meat.
Then one of his mates emigrated. He was a veggie and weird too.
We sort of remained friends for 3 or 4 years before my patience ran so thin I couldn't deal with it any longer.
At the time these two were the only vegetarians I knew and they were both WEIRD.

Since that time my daughter had brought a few of her teenage friends home who are veggies.
They're fine. I try to go out of my way to feed them and they seem OK, but my now former mate. Weird.
He really is the kind of person who gives veggies a bad name.

Surely his dietary choices were just incidental to the fact that he was just a weird fucker.

Latest posts

Back