Vegetarians and Vegans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to generalise. Some vegans and religious people are intolerable, some meat eaters and athiests are intolerable. Really, some people are intolerable.
I best have another beer then, i'll tell you whats intolerable when you worked with someone for years who was a massive morrisy fan and vegan listening to her rants about meat is murder and god knows what she rambled on about, that's intolerable

Slow roast brisket, or Silverside cooked in a slow

We tried brisket when we first got out slow cooker and it was good in fact (having reminded me) i mentioned it to SWMBO and she is getting some next time she goes shopping. thumb

I too have met a meat eating vegetarian...a couple me and the Mrs got talking to on hols in Fuerteventura,many moons ago...this girl went on and on about it then was eating half of her fellas tbone steak...

Surely his dietary choices were just incidental to the fact that he was just a weird fucker.
He was the only veggie I knew that the time, so veggie and weird went together.
Then when I met his friend it got worse.

Now as I said my daughter brings her veggie friends over and it's not a problem.
I tend to do the BBQ at the local surf club. I make sure there's a veggie option.
My daughters friends and people at the surf club are not weirdo's.

Used to love a steak,Not had one for over 5yrs now.
And a Turkey at Christmass,dont have that anymore.
Its not ethics its economics.

As a result of a road accident I am now on minimal working age benifits,Even Hienz beans are out of my price range,have to buy cheap alternatives.

Rice and pasta with tinned tomatoes is the order of the day.

Not long now till i get a pension YIPPEE.
Regrets yes I have a few,Mainly paying top rate tax for many years,Only to get bottom rate benifits.(Single person no kids you see.)
Yes its all my fault,(And dont I know it) I should have offshored my money decades ago.

If I were u I would look into charitable grants. Martin Lewis covers them in good detail on his website. Some require a social worker to sponsor/vouch/refer you. I don't know how you'd go about that but I'd imagine first place to start would be job centre or citizens advice Bureau.

I say almost because the 2 beers she likes most are erdinger and Guinness and both have fish guts in.

Guinness stopped using isinglass a couple of years ago, so is now vegan.
I'd guess Erdinger is too, as it's German and brewed to the Reinheitsgebot regulations.

Guinness stopped using isinglass a couple of years ago, so is now vegan.
I'd guess Erdinger is too, as it's German and brewed to the Reinheitsgebot regulations.

I think you're right on both counts. That'll make 'her indoors' happy. So the only rule breaking is drinking my beers now then. I'm too impatient for the "time method" so I may try a non animal based fining agent at some point...

I remember having some Linda McCartney sausages in the 90's. That put me off eating anything made to look like meat forever.
I think the main ingredient was recycled empty toilet rolls.......

As a pair of long time veggies me and the Mrs have ni inerest at all in the fake-meat products. We do both enjoy a bog standard veggie burger though. I believe that the fad for veggie meat-lookalikes (quorn "chicken", fake "bleeding beefburgers" etc is an attempt to persuade carnivores to try to eat less meat and shift part-way on to plant-based foods. So if you are a bacon nut then maybe a fake bacon floats your boat more than a nice bit of marinated griddled tofu.

I try the Mrs' stuff sometimes. Tofoo southern fried bites are nicer than some chicken nuggets I've tried.

I try the Mrs' stuff sometimes. Tofoo southern fried bites are nicer than some chicken nuggets I've tried.

We quite often get the Quorn nuggets and they taste exactly like chicken nuggets to me.

Probably because there is hardly any actual meat in a lot of chicken nuggets anyway lol

In my world Tofu/Quorn does not in any way taste like chicken :vomitintoilet:

I see the TV adverts..."plant based". Is it,say cabbages and potatoes being squashed up into "sausage like things" or is the left overs from other food prep that would have otherwise gone as animal feed or in the bin that some bright spark has realised you can get loads more for it if you feed it to vegetarians?

Latest posts

Back