Vegetarians and Vegans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the TV adverts..."plant based". Is it,say cabbages and potatoes being squashed up into "sausage like things" or is the left overs from other food prep that would have otherwise gone as animal feed or in the bin that some bright spark has realised you can get loads more for it if you feed it to vegetarians?

Haha Clint, leftovers that would usually go in the bin being squashed up into "sausage like things".

Did you just describe sausages?

It makes sense...it's all the **** left over. I bet if you write and asked what plants were in there you wouldn't get an answer...plus they're charging more than meat costs for it!
Like fluoride in tap water ... poison in large quantities,has "dumbing down" effects in smaller amounts and good for your teeth... allegedly.

It makes sense...it's all the **** left over. I bet if you write and asked what plants were in there you wouldn't get an answer...plus they're charging more than meat costs for it!
Like fluoride in tap water ... poison in large quantities,has "dumbing down" effects in smaller amounts and good for your teeth... allegedly.

That's just business. Of course they are going to charge a high price for a 'niche' product.
Also, the fact that supermarket meat is so cheap is not a good thing for the farmers or for us. Lower quality produce is an obvious outcome when farmers are forced to sell their cattle, milk, eggs etc for such a low price. Just look at the horse meat scandal.
I've eaten horse knowingly, but when your burgers are being adulterated, what else is going in that we don't know about?

In a funny sort of way, veggies are partly more responsible for emissions than a moderate meat eater that buys locally reared meat.
Soooooo much veggie food has soya in it - number one cause for deforestation in South America.
Another big hit is almond milk, number one cause for de-naturing California and leading to massive draught/water shortages
Quinoa, lentins, insert most processed veggie food, is not produced in the UK or even Europe. And it's all shipped here in modified atmospher plastic packaging via dirty great ships. Or even worse if it's got a shortshelf life - by plane!

And before I get ripped to bits, I am a meat eater.
But, I generally only buy from my local butcher who gets the majority of his produce from the local cooperative abbetoir. And veggies, I like seasonal UK thank you very much.

But then I make up for it by eating a nice Mediterranean paella or Chinese stir fry. Pooshucks

I drove a Fiat Panda with a leaky radiator for nearly two years by periodically breaking an egg into the radiator after topping it up with water.

Is this yet another reason to NOT adopt a vegan life style? :coat:
I don't think that many people drive a Fiat Panda.

The way I see it, at some stage during evolution we were vegans. As we have clawed our way to the top of the food chain we have become omnivorous, there is no way I will go back to being a salad shooter.
I don't care what other people want to eat, as long as they don't take the Jehovah Witness approach and preach to me about veganism.

Lacto vegetarians don't consume eggs, meat, poultry, or seafood, but they do eat dairy products. Eggs are consumed by ovo vegetarians, but no dairy products, meat, poultry, or fish are consumed. Pesco vegetarians, often known as pescatarians, do not strictly adhere to the criteria of vegetarianism. This semi-vegetarian diet consists of fish and other seafood, but no chicken or meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joke :
How do you know someone's a Vegan ?
They'll tell you.

Actually my wife has rheumatoid arthritis and after adopting a vegan diet her symptoms and flares drastically decreased (as did her meds).
She thinks it's dairy produce which affects her the worst, a couple of years later she now eats fish and the odd bit of free range chicken.
For her it was a health related decision and not a choice led by the blind dogma that gives Vegans a bad name.
We still eat very little meat ( I like a steak now and again ! ) but are happy to pay a little more to get it from the farm shop down the road where they rear and butcher their own animals.

I wonder if you took anyone with any food restrictions of any kind (bar something that would kill them)and starved them for a couple of weeks you'd get a different response?

I get that people don't want to eat meat because they don't like the way animals are treat and that is fine what i don't get is why some seem to think the ones that do eat meat should share the same view as them.

What boils my p!$$ is when vegetarians/vegans force their pet cat/dog into surviving on the same unnatural diet. It always makes me want to report them to the RSPCA for animal cruelty.

Latest posts

Back