Verdant IPA yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoop

Reaction score
This is London ale 3 right? I mean the only yeast I've seen produce that much Krausen is london ale 3. If anything this produces even more. But it looks the same. Big thick bubbly Krausen. The sort you could probably just bake into a loaf of bread without any actual flour haha.

In any case, besides this I've made a stout with it (malt miller's twisted stout but with some added maltodextrin so it didn't finish too dry) and it appears done. But still has a thick 2 inch layer on the top. I pulled a sample which measured 1.015, exactly where I wanted it with the maltodextrin and it tasted nicely attenuated. All good and ready really. Accept its stubbornly refusing to drop. Do I just crash it and keg or give it some more time? There is no positive pressure showing in the airlock and hasn't been for days now.

Defo using this yeast under pressure going forward. It was pouring out of my carboy at a crazy rate. Made a proper mess. Got loads of mosaic and citra to give it another proper run tomorrow.

Defo using this yeast under pressure going forward. It was pouring out of my carboy at a crazy rate. Made a proper mess. Got loads of mosaic and citra to give it another proper run tomorrow.
Be careful opening the pressure fermenter to add dry hops:
520E659B-A911-4282-9E7D-632287077101.jpeg

This is London ale 3 right?

I think it's an adaptation of London Ale III in that they started off with London Ale III and it evolved through many generations of repitching until it became something distinct. Lallemand then analysed what they had and found multiple yeast strains and isolated the dominant strain which seemed to be responsible for the apricot notes.

I've got it in a bitter at the moment, I'm hoping it is good in that type of beer not just hazy neipas!

-as in quick to clear and sediments well. Apricot sounds interesting too

I wouldn't use it for the Gumballhead clone - I've just done an Engish pale ale with it and while the beer's come out decent the yeast is more prominent than I'd have expected and it will mess with your flavours.

I wouldn't use it for the Gumballhead clone - I've just done an Engish pale ale with it and while the beer's come out decent the yeast is more prominent than I'd have expected and it will mess with your flavours.
what would you recommend? I am stealing Clint's idea as well this weekend. Actually Clint I can brew a verdant version and we can swap to see which is better?

I made a verdant IPA wth the yeast and it has a harsh taste which I don't get with US05. It's drinkable and it might mellow but not sure I'll use it again.

I've found Verdant beers to all have a weird harsh corny aftertaste. I actually thought something was wrong with my tastebuds because everyone loves their beer. I deduced it had to be that yeast strain because I could taste it across the board of their beers, except for their Black Lager which I found delicious.

what would you recommend? I am stealing Clint's idea as well this weekend. Actually Clint I can brew a verdant version and we can swap to see which is better?
The recipe I used called for as neutral a yeast as possible - I'd go for US05 or BRY97. I think I prefer BRY97 overall but it's always had a long lag time between pitching and noticeable activity when I've used it which can be unnerving.

Used the Verdant yeast in a clone of Even Sharks Need Water and I am also getting a harsh taste in the final beer. The first few samples taken for gravity measurements did not have it. They had a peachy / vanilla taste (maybe sweetness from the wort still lingering). Once at FG the taste ended up changing to more harsh tones. The hop aroma had gone too. Almost like a sherry. Initially I thought I had O2 ingress but everything was sealed and the air lock still bubbling every so often. I waited a few days before dry hopping for 48 hours as recommended by Verdant and now the taste has aggressive galaxy on top! Hoping it will settle out over a couple of weeks as the galaxy green goes away. Have it on keg and bottles so will see if keg or bottle conditioning improves / dissipates the taste. Have washed the yeast cake and will re-use in a SMASH beer to make a decision on whether to stick with this new strain.

Maybe take a look at this video for some tips, this chap knows what he's talking about..................

Glad you posted that, as I have just finished doing one of those. I was so impressed in the video by his obvious enthusiasm for the yeast, that I decided to do exactly his brew. Unfortunately I didn't have enough Centennial and Mosaic, so used Columbus and Idaho#7 instead, for the boil hops, to the same IBU figures and with the same timings. Otherwise I followed his instructions to the letter. When I tasted the sample for gravity testing I was shocked at how astringent and bitter it tasted. Certainly not in a pleasant way.

But I kegged it to day and it has softened quite considerably in the 3 days since I first tried it. Both times the aroma has been fantastic but then so it should with 100g at whirlpool and 100g dry hop. I am hopeful. It's now in a corny with CO2 at serving pressure, so I'll report back in ten days or so when it has carbonated properly.

I had been going to save the yeast and do another brew with it straight away, but until I'm happier with how it's going to taste, I have put that on hold.

Glad the video helped, he's a font of knowledge.

Look forward to hearing your review in due course.

I'm going to brew on Friday using this yeast for the 1st time, azacca, galaxy and mosaic............fingers crossed.

I think next weekend I will brew a split batch with this one and the east coast yeast as a comparison. I could use a big batch of Todd the Axeman clone in the kegerator and these should be nice in it, although they use wlp007 I believe.

Latest posts

Back