Verdant IPA yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used the Verdant yeast in a clone of Even Sharks Need Water and I am also getting a harsh taste in the final beer. The first few samples taken for gravity measurements did not have it. They had a peachy / vanilla taste (maybe sweetness from the wort still lingering). Once at FG the taste ended up changing to more harsh tones. The hop aroma had gone too. Almost like a sherry. Initially I thought I had O2 ingress but everything was sealed and the air lock still bubbling every so often. I waited a few days before dry hopping for 48 hours as recommended by Verdant and now the taste has aggressive galaxy on top! Hoping it will settle out over a couple of weeks as the galaxy green goes away. Have it on keg and bottles so will see if keg or bottle conditioning improves / dissipates the taste. Have washed the yeast cake and will re-use in a SMASH beer to make a decision on whether to stick with this new strain.
Maybe hop burn

I was looking at doing a hazy IPA with this yeast. Extra pale malt, torrified wheat, golden naked oats
Hops will be azacca El Dorado and a small Amarillo addition

I was looking at doing a hazy IPA with this yeast. Extra pale malt, torrified wheat, golden naked oats
Hops will be azacca El Dorado and a small Amarillo addition
Be careful with golden naked oats if you haven't used them before. They are not the same as oat malt or flaked oats. Much more nutty and doughy, and not really smooth like oatmeal.

I used it last week in a bitter, fermented well @17c, got a 2" krausen at that temperature, didn't drop as fast as nottingham for example (but what yeast does? :) ) so was still a bit cloudy at packaging and there was still krausen covering the beer but it is dropping bright allready in the bottle, only two days in. I'll test a bottle tomorrow I think. taste test at bottling was really promising

94Qs9kw.png

Well couldn't wait. Brewed 8 days ago, bottled two days ago, allready clearer than a beer I brewed with k97 after 6 weeks in the bottle :laugh8: Another week and she should be good. I am getting that touch of vanilla,the malt is also very much forward. An early two thumbs up for the yeast in a bitter.
66m48kDl.jpg

Any feedback on this yeast yet. I am also considering using it for an American amber. Any thoughts đź‘€
I tried mine last night, though it's only been in the keg 6 days. This is the David Heath recipe from his video.

The noticeable sharpness has mellowed quite a bit, though I'm surprised at how bitter it is given that the only hops in the boil went in 10 minutes before flame-out. It's quite nice, bitter as I've mentioned with strong grapefruit notes, but I'm not thrilled by it. That may be my problem as I was expecting a NEIPA type fruitiness and there was little of that there. I'm afraid I've never tried an American Amber so I can't really say how it would work for you, but if I was scoring the beer I've just brewed I would only give it 3 out of 5.

though I'm surprised at how bitter it is given that the only hops in the boil went in 10 minutes before flame-out.

That may be my problem as I was expecting a NEIPA type fruitiness and there was little of that there.

Hmmmmm, interesting, i'm planning to do the David Heath recipe next as well except with a couple of small changes to the grain bill.

I did wonder about the 10 minute addition, I think I'll give that a miss as yours was quite bitter and I'll add more at flameout.

I'm hoping for a NEIPA style as there's a lot of oats and wheat in mine as I don't have any Vienna and have swapped for wheat malt.

Do you add anything to your water ??

Hmmmmm, interesting, i'm planning to do the David Heath recipe next as well except with a couple of small changes to the grain bill.

I did wonder about the 10 minute addition, I think I'll give that a miss as yours was quite bitter and I'll add more at flameout.

I'm hoping for a NEIPA style as there's a lot of oats and wheat in mine as I don't have any Vienna and have swapped for wheat malt.

Yes, I use Bru'n'Water to adjust my tap water to meet this profile

Ca 105 Mg 5 Na 12 Sulphate 75 Chloride 150

I can't remember where I got that profile from, it's not one of Martin Brungard's supplied ones, but I think the principle is correct, namely higher chloride than sulphate.

I know you all warned about this, but this yeast is insane. I think all the yeast launched itself into my blow off jar. I had 2cm of solid yeast at the bottom of the jar. In fact fermentation completely stopped and I am wondering if there is no yeast left in the beer.

BEWARE use a blowoff with this yeast and ferment at 19c.

I found my half pack into 10 lts had finished after 3 days, that's nearly as quick as Kveik Voss, hope that's alright.
I fermented at 19c and plan to raise it by a degree per day from Wednesday until I get to 22c.

I found my half pack into 10 lts had finished after 3 days, that's nearly as quick as Kveik Voss, hope that's alright.
I fermented at 19c and plan to raise it by a degree per day from Wednesday until I get to 22c.
My temp control was broken when one of the kids shut the window last night. So it was up to 24c this morning and I took it outside to cool. Tastes nice and estery with no fusels. I think it went from 1.068 to 1.021 in 48 hours.

I think next weekend I will brew a split batch with this one and the east coast yeast as a comparison. I could use a big batch of Todd the Axeman clone in the kegerator and these should be nice in it, although they use wlp007 I believe.
Did you do the split batch in the end? If so, please do tell how it went (is going...?)

Quick update...........8 days now and just took a reading, down to 1.010 from 1.052 so 5.5% with 82% attenuation so all looking good.
Tastes very promising from the test tube and with a big dry hop planned in about a weeks time I've got big hopes with this brew.🤞🤞🤞
Hoping to bottle Sunday week.
What recipe did you go with. I am planning a brew for Tuesday

Did you do the split batch in the end? If so, please do tell how it went (is going...?)
No I forgot to dry hop a batch early enough and ended up not having both 10l fermenters available.

I just used one pack for the whole batch and I took a small sample yesterday and it was quite delicious. Like orange grapefruit juice. I will cold crash and dry hop next week and then keg it up after a few days. I might try dry hopping without the mesh filters, but still up in the air about that.

What recipe did you go with. I am planning a brew for Tuesday

I read somewhere what the Verdant malt base is so I used that and then used the hops they put into 'Putty'.

So, 45% Golden Promise ( I used Maris Otter extra pale)
33% Wheat Malt
11% Oats
11% Flaked Wheat ( I used Torrified Wheat)

Hops : Galaxy, Azacca and Galaxy.

My bitter has not cleared any more, which is annoying me. I had wanted it to drop bright, but it's looking more like there is a permanent light haze to the beer. Has anyone had a beer drop nice and bright made with this yeast and not using auxiliary finings? I know most beers made with this are aiming to be haze bombs, but they market it for other styles and it does have an interesting aroma

Just ordered a pack before reading this thread. I see there are mixed feelings about it. Still it's ordered now so I might as well try it out. I've never tasted anything "Verdant" by the way. The names put me off, but I do like a decent IPA. Not sure that the video helps.

Latest posts

Back