Verdant IPA yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first taste of my hazy IPA using Verdant yeast. I hopped with mosiac azacca El Dorado. This is really young but it's very promising, I used extra pale malt. It looks like pineapple juice
IMG_20201125_212802741.jpg

Looks great @samale and not a million miles off what I’ve been brewing. Pulled a sample today while crash chilling. Mine had equal amounts of Citra and Bru 1 in the hop stand and equal amounts of Mosaic and Sabro in the dry hop. Verdant yeast of course. I’ve harvested nearly a full mason jar from top cropping and think I’ll go for a pale ale about 5% for my next ‘verdant’ brew day.

Attachments

• F3D96F39-3B07-4A23-AC6F-5245F0004226.jpeg
    F3D96F39-3B07-4A23-AC6F-5245F0004226.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 129
Looks great @samale and not a million miles off what I’ve been brewing. Pulled a sample today while crash chilling. Mine had equal amounts of Citra and Bru 1 in the hop stand and equal amounts of Mosaic and Sabro in the dry hop. Verdant yeast of course. I’ve harvested nearly a full mason jar from top cropping and think I’ll go for a pale ale about 5% for my next ‘verdant’ brew day.
Sounds nice I am going to use the yeast again tomorrow night. I am thinking of a American amber. I have a load of Amarillo that needs used up.

Sounds nice I am going to use the yeast again tomorrow night. I am thinking of a American amber. I have a load of Amarillo that needs used up.

It’s a monster yeast! I’m not sure what other styles to use it in but look forward to hearing how you and others get along with it in upcoming brew days.

Kegged at 40psi gonna leave it for 24hrs then drop to serving pressure and leave for as long as I can manage before testing a proper sample. Let’s hope it keeps its colour and doesn’t turn brown!!

Attachments

• 080F2A30-D203-44EA-88BB-D598A71D9278.jpeg
    080F2A30-D203-44EA-88BB-D598A71D9278.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 154
This yeast seems to keep a thick creamy krausen long into fermentation. I also noticed a few of my bottles of hazy IPA seem to have a bit of scum at the top of the bottle. I didn't cold crash, anybody else notice this

Same here, it looked like it was still fermenting after two weeks, however it had reach 1.010 so I cold crashed. It’s a very good beer too.

I gave my FV some swirls which appeared to do the trick and a lot of the krausen dropped in conjunction with the cold crash. I’d ageee this has been a very positive brew and I’m very happy with the finished beer. I hope to brew it again (or a very similar version of it) very soon and seeing how much yeast I was able to top crop I’ll have this in my yeast bank for a few generations so as long as it’s working well.

Just opened my first bottle from my Verdant APA. Really like the end result: aromatic, fruity, slightly creamy, good clean bitter hit on the finish. Will use again.

It was certainly an interesting Yeast to use. When I dry hopped the pellets initially just sat on top of the krausen, but thankfully they did drop and the cold crash helped a lot at the end. The beer has a definite haze but I'm OK with that. I'll take flavour over clarity most days.

Attachments

• IMG-20210101-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20210101-WA0008.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I had the same, thick creamy krausen.It really did kick off quickly, i done the first dry hop at the start of day 3 same as you norman, the 100g of pellets just sat on top of the 4" krausen for a while.They did drop through though.

Done the second dry hop on day 5 still a good few inches of thick krausen, this was at 5psi in the snubnose fv.Slowly released the pressure for the dry hopping and could see the krausen rising.

Been at 2c for 1 day now and looking a lovely colour, my first go at an neipa so got my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Just done closed transfer to a flushed keg, the yeast certainly left a messy krausen stain that looks like it's going to need a good soak.
Very happy with looks and smell, will find out in a week what it tastes like.
0g 1060
fg 1012

Attachments

• ne.JPG
    ne.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Certainly looks the part! As I mentioned above I’m planning another NEIPA with this yeast again either this week or next depending on when the last of my supplies arrive! Might go Citra, Bru-1 and Sabro all hopstand and post fermentation dry hop additions aiming for approx 250-300g in total.

I am bottling my English pale ale using this yeast. It looks like pea soup. Not to sure why, it wasn't planned to look like that.

My 2nd time using the yeast, just over 48 hrs in (neipa) a good 4” Krausen, at 4 psi hopefully 1 st dry hop in the morning.

Attachments

• 7F99B500-2D4A-46D9-A7C2-F16498CE239E.jpeg
    7F99B500-2D4A-46D9-A7C2-F16498CE239E.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 88
My 2nd time using the yeast, just over 48 hrs in (neipa) a good 4” Krausen, at 4 psi hopefully 1 st dry hop in the morning.
I think it's perfect for a neipa. Not too sure on other styles. I have used it in an American amber plus English pale. It's very murky if that makes sense

Latest posts

Back