Verdant Light Bulb Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this yesterday, airlock bubbling away nicely this morning. Two things I’m not sure about. They recommend a diacetyl rest so do I do this for a couple of days(?) once I’ve had a stable FG for a couple of days, or just do it after a set time, i.e. after a week say?
Also when and how long to dry hop for? Going to chuck the pellets in loose.

Mines about a day and a half into the fermentation. Had to dry hop it as I have gone away. Normally about 3 to 4 days for a dry hop I think and from what I have read you need to do the diacetyl rest when your between 2 and 5 points away from final gravity.

I normally dry hop for 3/4 days as well, I usually ferment for 2 weeks so I add the hops after around 10 days

I normally dry hop for 3/4 days as well, I usually ferment for 2 weeks so I add the hops after around 10 days

I'm still new to this but read about biotransformation, basically hopping during active fermentation but maybe I need to add these in a way I can remove them so that they aren't in too long

Here’s the recipe, they seemed to have changed the yeast tho, this was a can I picked up last monthView attachment 18358View attachment 18359
Verdant have been doing a lot of playing with yeast in the background, there tends to be a mix of London Fog, Lallemand NE.

They also do a few interesting things in their process, so a brew like Light Bulb can be a double brew, so they'll do two batches with different yeast and blend, also sometimes the yeast then goes onto the second or third brew of the week for them in their week which is usually the bigger DIPA beer, so using the pale as a starter for the bigger/higher Abv beer.

I'm still new to this but read about biotransformation, basically hopping during active fermentation but maybe I need to add these in a way I can remove them so that they aren't in too long
To get a haze from biotransformation you need to dry hop early i have done it before by dry hopping the 2nd day of fermentation. I used a fine mesh nylon bag I ordered from amazon so they can be removed easily.

I’m 3 days into fermentation and down to about 1.013 already. Have dry hopped and started to raise temps over next couple of days for diacetyl rest. Hopefully all will be ok, this is a learning curve for me....!

From memory I started fermentation at 18 then raised to 21 after 3 days. Chucked loose pellets in for dry hop at 9 days and started chilling down to 2 at same time. Racked to keg at 14 days, think this pic was after 1 week in keg. 3AE7B56D-F93D-428A-9C94-F32940C03763.jpeg

love the randomness when posting pics on this forum, you never know what size or orientation it’s going to be

From memory I started fermentation at 18 then raised to 21 after 3 days. Chucked loose pellets in for dry hop at 9 days and started chilling down to 2 at same time. Racked to keg at 14 days, think this pic was after 1 week in keg. View attachment 22354
Did you take any precautions to stop oxygen drawback when you cold crashed? Paranoid about oxidising this one! Looks good, would you brew this one again?

No I just chill it down, I do purge the keg but that’s about it. Haven’t noticed any oxidisation problems. Would definitely brew it again at some point although I’m going to try one of the liquid yeast strains next

remembered I did bump the temperature a bit higher on this one to around 23, was concerned it wasn't going to attenuate enough but it got there in the end. Not sure if the higher temperature helped, probably just needed leaving alone!

remembered I did bump the temperature a bit higher on this one to around 23, was concerned it wasn't going to attenuate enough but it got there in the end. Not sure if the higher temperature helped, probably just needed leaving alone!
Mine has been at 22 for a few days and is steady at 1.010 a week since brewing it. Just set to cold crash, hopefully get it kegged on Monday. Fingers crossed i haven’t messed anything up!

Some interesting comments from James Heffron @ Verdant on this clone video on Youtube.

"Thank you so much for posting this video. I can confirm that the recipe your recited is extremely close to the real thing. We split batch LB, brew one with Lalbrew New England and the other with US-05. We then combine batches in the bright tank to carbonate and package from. We don't use any kettle finings. AA% of Simcoe is usually 13% and Centennial 8-9%. Personal favourite hops of mine but Centennial is so widely grown that it's tricky to find the really great stuff...but when it's good I think it's such a beautiful citrus/floral hop. LB settles out pretty clear after about 3 weeks, perhaps you had a fresh can? LB has always had not so great head retention, but i've always put it down to the relatively high oat % wrecking any chance of that. Cheers!"

Looks like the recipe is spot on aside from the split batch approach.

This beer turned out really nice in the end, was really pleased with it. I figured I might keep the same grain bill and yeast but try it with a different hop combo. Any suggestions?

Glad it turned out well, I did the same thing last summer and tried it with lemondrop and mouteka hops which was nice but I wouldn't rush to brew again.

If I tried it again I would probably go for idaho7and mosaic

Back