Verdant Putty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What temp did you hop stand also to boost this to puttty (tipa) level what would you change.
here's the link to my latest version, hope this works. tbh that 16mg might be wrong, I didn't add any bicarb so it's prob 0. I concentrate on the chloride and sulphate, both absolute amount and ratio to each other. also a bit of sodium in the boil.

https://share.brewfather.app/Nn47sXMCXodZyC

What temp did you hop stand also to boost this to puttty (tipa) level what would you change.
hop stand 80°c. getting to a TIPA; really not sure, the mash would be outrageously thick and/or a massive amount of dextrose. Just had a quick play with brewfather, you'd need a starting gravity of around 1.1 I guess you could do a no sparge brew so you've got a mash that will actually be able to recirculate, but I struggle getting to 8% myself. interested in others views on this and whether anyone has managed to achieve that big a beer.

hop stand 80°c. getting to a TIPA; really not sure, the mash would be outrageously thick and/or a massive amount of dextrose. Just had a quick play with brewfather, you'd need a starting gravity of around 1.1 I guess you could do a no sparge brew so you've got a mash that will actually be able to recirculate, but I struggle getting to 8% myself. interested in others views on this and whether anyone has managed to achieve that big a beer.
Thanks again for the info! Do you use whirlfoc/protofloc and yeast nutrients?

Thanks again for the info! Do you use whirlfoc/protofloc and yeast nutrients?
no protafloc for this as you want it hazy like the real thing! I don't use yeast nutrient, possibly another area where I need to do some experimentation. the most important thing for this brew (well one of them) is an oxygen free transfer. I have given up trying to bottle heavily hopped neipas as with a bottling wand I just couldn't avoid oxidation. so I'm dry hopping thru the collection jar of a fermzilla (after removing the yeast) and purging the collection jar with co2. then transfer to a fully purged keg thru tubing that's also been purged

no protafloc for this as you want it hazy like the real thing! I don't use yeast nutrient, possibly another area where I need to do some experimentation. the most important thing for this brew (well one of them) is an oxygen free transfer. I have given up trying to bottle heavily hopped neipas as with a bottling wand I just couldn't avoid oxidation. so I'm dry hopping thru the collection jar of a fermzilla (after removing the yeast) and purging the collection jar with co2. then transfer to a fully purged keg thru tubing that's also been purged
I haven't given up on bottling as of yet. I've been producing some really wonderful NEIPAs and beers in general however. It's the colour / opacity that had been evading me. I will try your recipe with your tips at some point 👌. Putty is like a second best to me, my favourite beer ever was Pomona Island Chevron Action Flash TIPA (after some traditional Trappists), I haven't got anything near that yet, but that is the aim!

I've used Verdant IPA yeast a lot for various styles and specifically for NEIPA styles I find it leaves too much vanilla flavour at all temps (18-23c) along with too much muddles peach with the hops flavours, although it does produce a great Best Bitter and Foreign export stout 👍. I'm thinking of trying Capri, WHC hop unlock or WLP0077 tropicale instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back