Verdant Putty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the comments under the vid on youtube, the brewer responds to questions about the water profile by saying he starts with very soft Cornish water and adds chloride to both the mash and the kettle (doen't say how much though)
I've enever tried adding more salts to the kettle before - maybe they have a bigger impact on the mouthfeel??

I always add salts to the mash and the kettle in Beersmith

Pulp, for sure, not sure about putty.
Yes, Pulp's recipe is in the Camra's Essential Home Brewing Book, I've brewed 2 recipes from the book, the cream ale that is carbing in the keg ready for the weekend & the corbel recipe (with carafe 3 malt addition to make it a black ipa) that is fermenting away.

Probably not relevant, but as you are Verdant fans I thought id post this recipe for Lightbulb.

On another side note is Hop & Barley magazine a good read? it looks like its put together well & especially vol 9 that has a few recipes it seems. I've subscribed to BYO in the past (no doing their digital membership) and also have read Ferment mag. The article's in Ferment in the past have often not really interested me.

Last edited:
Looks like its a readers clone of lightbulb not a genuine one.
Never read the mag so can't comment

Managed to track down Putty and got stuck in tonight. The initial aroma and flavour is very dank and resinous, the fruit came out more as it warmed up a bit. As discussed the mouthfeel is really the star of the show, the softness really makes it very drinkable. I enjoyed it but I have to be honest and say it didn’t blow me away.

Attachments

• F7918EDA-1114-4279-AED6-DC6FA4D11A07.jpeg
    F7918EDA-1114-4279-AED6-DC6FA4D11A07.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 156
I'm not knocking you...I got the impression it was a total let down...I do realize these small run beers cost...I wonder what crowd funding will do?

Going to have another Putty tomorrow and dig deep into it now my man flu has gone

So has anyone got that digital copy and wrote down those recipes for the forum or this thread?
I'll post a copy later today for light bulb and a scanned/photo of pulp from CAMRA's essential home brewing book too.

Edit: Tried to take a picture via phone of the Pulp recipe but it well... Didn't come out great! So will try to scan it in or use a tablet to capture.

I've posted the Light Bulb Recipe as a new thread.

Last edited:
Pulp (from Camras Essential Home Brewing):

Best ale malt. 2kg
Extra pale malt. 2kg
Wheat malt. 1kg
Flaked oats. 600g
Caragold. 300g

67c mash

Boil 60 mins

Magnum. 10g 13%aa FWH
Citra. 40g 12%aa 30 mins
Columbus. 40g 15%aa 30 mins
Dextrose. 300g. 10 mins

Dry hops

Citra. 120g 12%aa 7 days
Equinox. 30g 15% 7 days
Columbus. 20g 15% 7 days
Galaxy. 30g 14% 7 days

Apologies for bad formatting and spelling errors......I’ve had few :)

Just having my 2nd Putty.
Now the manful has cleared it has more bitterness than I thought. Definitely more than 28 IBU that I guessed at.
Definitely getting more Galaxy upfront and a sweaty socks mosaic style after.
But that mouthfeel is awesome.
The 8% is super well hidden its that smooth

Latest posts

Back