Verdant Putty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So. Kicked my first 12l keg. Gave around a third of it away.

It was possibly a bit over-carbed.

Just tried the second keg, this one has been sitting at room temp for about 10 days at 20psi, with no cannister attached.

Wow. Far more like Putty. It’s spicy, more Galaxy comes to the fore. Still fruity, but has the spicy edge that makes Putty so good.

I brew to fill 2 12 litre kegs as that’s all I have space for. I only have one cannister/regulator so I keep one in the fridge and just set the one at room temp to 20-30 psi and leave it to do it’s thing.

This second keg. It’s very, very close. It needs to be softer, mouthfeel wise. And still needs more Galaxy. But I’d say for the folks who are bottle conditioning. Leave it at least 10 days and it will get pretty close.

Not sure why the second keg is better. But my second kegs always seem to be.

I’m probably too impatient to drink the beer.

What did your recipe end up as in the end, and is there anything you’d change next time, or having had the second keg do you reckon it’s there?

Since Putty season is almost upon us I decided to bump this thread to see if there has been any updates and successes on brewing this incredible beer. I've been working on my design for a while now and am almost ready to brew in the next couple of weeks. Was holding off to try and do a side by side but don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on it this year.

I'm pretty set on the grain bill and water so it's just the hopping rates and schedule I'm undecided on. One thing I'm pretty sure on is the rates are easily up around the 25g/L+. Any recipes I've seen with lower rates are just going to fall short. So here's my take as of now. The grain bill is kind of a tweak of the Even Sharks recipe they released a few months ago. I think most of their grain bills are slight variations of this.

OG 1.080
FG 1.020

Crisp Extra Pale 59.9%
Wheat Malt 19.5%
Golden Promise 17%
Oat Malt 7.6%
Dextrose 5%

London Fog (or Verdant dry Yeast)

Magnum 6g FWH
Azacca 80g Whirlpool @75 degrees for 40 mins
Mosaic Lupomax 60g Whirlpool @75 degrees for 40 mins
Galaxy 20g Whirlpool @75 degrees for 40 mins (undecided about using Galaxy hot side)

Dry Hop
Azacca 40g @ day 2 (active fermentation)
Mosaic Lupomax 30g @ day 2 (active fermentation)
Galaxy 50g @ day 2 active fermentation

Then 2 more separate dry hops after fermentation each of
Azacca 40g
Mosaic Lupomax 40g
Galaxy 120g

I've only tried Putty once at a festival so haven't been able to pick the beer apart.

Since Putty season is almost upon us I decided to bump this thread to see if there has been any updates and successes on brewing this incredible beer. I've been working on my design for a while now and am almost ready to brew in the next couple of weeks. Was holding off to try and do a side by side but don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on it this year.

I'm pretty set on the grain bill and water so it's just the hopping rates and schedule I'm undecided on. One thing I'm pretty sure on is the rates are easily up around the 25g/L+. Any recipes I've seen with lower rates are just going to fall short. So here's my take as of now. The grain bill is kind of a tweak of the Even Sharks recipe they released a few months ago. I think most of their grain bills are slight variations of this.

OG 1.080
FG 1.020

Crisp Extra Pale 59.9%
Wheat Malt 19.5%
Golden Promise 17%
Oat Malt 7.6%
Dextrose 5%

London Fog (or Verdant dry Yeast)

Magnum 6g FWH
Azacca 80g Whirlpool @75 degrees for 40 mins
Mosaic Lupomax 60g Whirlpool @75 degrees for 40 mins
Galaxy 20g Whirlpool @75 degrees for 40 mins (undecided about using Galaxy hot side)

Dry Hop
Azacca 40g @ day 2 (active fermentation)
Mosaic Lupomax 30g @ day 2 (active fermentation)
Galaxy 50g @ day 2 active fermentation

Then 2 more separate dry hops after fermentation each of
Azacca 40g
Mosaic Lupomax 40g
Galaxy 120g

I've only tried Putty once at a festival so haven't been able to pick the beer apart.
Is this for a 5.5 US Gallon / 22 Litre batch ? that's a lot of dry hops !

Is this for a 5.5 US Gallon / 22 Litre batch ? that's a lot of dry hops !
Yes, this gets me 22 liters into the fermenter. Verdant's dry hopping rates are huge, on a par with Cloudwater if not more who's dipa's are all advertised as 22-25g/L. My recipe is 23.6g/L but with losses over fermentation and transfer will rise to around 25g/L. You're just not going to get close going lower, in my opinion.

You used the Lupomax yet.
I have Citra and Mosaic and just ordered some Bro-1 from Yakima

Guessing you're the same Aaron I spoke to on HBT

The same one, good to hear from you again.

I've used the Citra Lupomax in the Sharks need water clone but to be honest I wasn't blown away by it. I did use the 25% less volume that they recommend. Have used Sabro lupomax in another beer and it's totally taken over, pure coconut.

Little off topic sorry, but how much did you have to order from YVH to get it shipped the UK?
acheers.

Little off topic sorry, but how much did you have to order from YVH to get it shipped the UK?
acheers.

They will ship for any price.
Do good flash sales too..
Play it clever though, shipping is $22.

But that's upto around 32oz

After that postage goes up
I got 16oz of 2020 citra for $16 and 8oz of Bru 1 Lupomax for £16

Yrah customs may stop it but still works out cheaper than UK

General release is tomorrow morning.
Nowhere will ship to Ireland. My only hope is probably Mikkeller if they get some this year. Verdant just started distributing here before Christmas but I doubt any will make it over.

Honest brew are getting some next week if they ship to you?
I'm not sure if they ship but most places like Ghost Whale seem to have suspended shipping till all the customs stuff gets sorted. Always got my Honest Brew stuff sent to a mail forwarding service Northern Ireland but that closed before Christmas. It's a bit of a mess at the moment. Malt Miller aren't shipping either.

Arrived already
IMG_20210113_121408.jpg
Screenshot_20210113_121056_com.whatsapp.jpg

That's impressive service. Let us know if you've any ideas for the recipe after trying again.

Latest posts

Back