Very fast Wherry fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racehunter

Reaction score
I started my Woodfordes Wherry last early afternoon last Sunday (28/6) and got an SG of 1042. Fermentation started quickly with the FV in a water bath @ 20°C, and was very vigorous but airlock activity slowed right down by 2/7 so I took a reading and got 1014. Checked the gravity again yesterday and today and got a steady 1012 with zero airlock activity.

My question is, should I still leave it another week before bottling? The sample in the trial jar was pretty clear, by the way.

Looking at my notes the first batch of Wherry I brewed I bottled after a week, and from what I recall it was ultimately fine. These days I tend to stick to the 2:2:2 week rule for most beers I brew however this is more out of habit many of my beers can ferment fully it 3-4 days and I have bottled after a week without ill effect.

Looking at my notes the first batch of Wherry I brewed I bottled after a week, and from what I recall it was ultimately fine. These days I tend to stick to the 2:2:2 week rule for most beers I brew however this is more out of habit many of my beers can ferment fully it 3-4 days and I have bottled after a week without ill effect.
Thanks. I suppose my concern is 'spoiling' the beer by leaving it too long after the primary fermentation has finished. However, the FV is airtight and I won't be opening it up until I rack for bottling.

I started my Woodfordes Wherry last early afternoon last Sunday (28/6) and got an SG of 1042. Fermentation started quickly with the FV in a water bath @ 20°C, and was very vigorous but airlock activity slowed right down by 2/7 so I took a reading and got 1014. Checked the gravity again yesterday and today and got a steady 1012 with zero airlock activity.

My question is, should I still leave it another week before bottling? The sample in the trial jar was pretty clear, by the way.
I suggest that you give it one more day or so at 20*C to allow the yeast to finish cleaning up then find a cold place somewhere if you have one for a further two days then go ahead and bottle at your convenience.

Thanks. I suppose my concern is 'spoiling' the beer by leaving it too long after the primary fermentation has finished. However, the FV is airtight and I won't be opening it up until I rack for bottling.
Due to coming down with a bad case of flu a few years ago I left a beer in primary for five weeks once it was fine. I don’t doubt that you can leave a beer too long in primary but two weeks should not be a problem.

2 2 2 is new to me

Is that 2 weeks in FV 2 weeks Secondary Ferm then 2 further weeks before drinking

Probably not but would be interested for future ref

Many thanks Wp

2 2 2 is new to me

Is that 2 weeks in FV 2 weeks Secondary Ferm then 2 further weeks before drinking

Probably not but would be interested for future ref

Many thanks Wp

For me it’s two weeks in primary then bottle, then two weeks in a warmish place to carb, and then two weeks in the garage which tends to be fairly cold to condition.

Its not a hard rule but for the large part I find it produces consistent good results. Although often I find a couple more weeks to condition is often a good idea.

Latest posts

Back