Very first AG brew happening tomorrow - totally stoked for this

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Tomorrow I'm embarking on a whole new homebrew journey; my very first AG brew.
It's going to be a BIAB using the first of the recipes on this page.
A huge thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge and experience on this forum. I've been reading and digesting intensely.
I just want to give an extra thanks to @Fireside Ales Homebrewery who has been helping me more than I ever could have hoped.
So tomorrow I sail forth in to a brave new world. Wish me luck acheers.

Oh and if you have any last minute tips I'd be more than grateful.

Tips...
Double your expected time.
NO interruptions...NOT ANY!!
Do a dry run..where your kit is going,are you moving stuff...have you GOT everything?
Do not attempt to move pots full of boiling wort!
Put a big towel on the floor.
Enjoy yourself...if you get stuck there's usually someone on here that'll respond quickly.

Be patient!

Grain crushed, and properly?

Do make sure you have EVERYTHING. I pitched a wheat beer yeast in a stout last year because I thought it was S-04. Made an interesting stout but not what I wanted.

Tips...
Double your expected time.
NO interruptions...NOT ANY!!
Do a dry run..where your kit is going,are you moving stuff...have you GOT everything?
Do not attempt to move pots full of boiling wort!
Put a big towel on the floor.
Enjoy yourself...if you get stuck there's usually someone on here that'll respond quickly.
All of Clint's recommendations are spot on for a first brew. Make sure you're prepared, write all your steps down, get everything ready and laid out in advance.

Keep a close eye on the wort as it comes to the boil. You DO NOT want it to boil over, and it will do its best to - have a spray bottle of cold water to hand, if you spray the surface it stops the boil-over.

Don't have a drink while you're doing your first brew, a couple of beers can be very distracting and before long you'll realise you missed a step. If you do it's probably not the end of the world, but still best not to.

Most importantly, relax and enjoy it. If you make mistakes (and you will) don't fret, you'll probably still make a drinkable beer.

Hi everyone

Tomorrow I'm embarking on a whole new homebrew journey; my very first AG brew.
It's going to be a BIAB using the first of the recipes on this page.
A huge thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge and experience on this forum. I've been reading and digesting intensely.
I just want to give an extra thanks to @Fireside Ales Homebrewery who has been helping me more than I ever could have hoped.
So tomorrow I sail forth in to a brave new world. Wish me luck acheers.

Oh and if you have any last minute tips I'd be more than grateful.
Your welcome,
Good luck with it all 👍🍻

What a load of old advice givers. Stop worrying the lad. It'll go as it goes. Your great hearts are going to keep him awake all night. Just don't spread that towel on the floor. You won't need it, if you do it won't be enough, and you'll end up tripping over it.
If Fireside has been coaching the captn, all will be well.

What a load of old advice givers. Stop worrying the lad. It'll go as it goes. Your great hearts are going to keep him awake all night. Just don't spread that towel on the floor. You won't need it, if you do it won't be enough, and you'll end up tripping over it.
If Fireside has been coaching the captn, all will be well.
Well let’s hope 🤞 no one needs bad ale in there lives 😅

Hope everything goes ok, doing my 5th AG brew tomorrow all of the advice on this thread is applicable.
A well worn phrase I know "but learn from any mistakes" I'm not saying you will make any, but it's a learning curve.
Tried a keg of my 3rd brew tonight not great but still drinkable. I was worried when I started but try and stay calm and follow the recipe in a logical fashion and you will make some great beer

My first AG I did with a friend (long before COVID), a really rough and ready BIAB affair. We had a couple of beers whilst we were at it. A ‘couple’ of beers adds up over a 6+ hour brew.

The mash went swimmingly, but it went downhill rapidly after. Boilovers, last minute sanitising of the FV, leaky immersion chiller, rehydrated the yeast in water that was far too hot, and a couple of other faux pas.
But we had a good laugh and the beer came out drinkable.

the fact that it was fun meant I’ve brewed more since . Have a laugh and don’t burn or electrocute yourself. 😀

Disclaimer: I’m not saying this is the best approach, but the slap happy stress free approach meant I enjoyed the day as I wasn’t trying to overthink things. And the beer we made was half decent 🍺

Today’s the day!

I always put my first beer on a new system down as a practice brew. I mentally write it off in my mind as just an experiment, and don’t consider I will get anything particularly drinkable at the end of it...
Touch wood I’ve enjoyed almost every one of my beers, but I find taking away the pressure of expecting to make an incredible beer on my first go means I can focus more on the process, and if it does turn out something tasty that’s a bonus!

Good luck today - sing out if you need any help.

Ok
First stumbling block (one I was a bit concerned about beforehand)
I couldn’t get any SafAle US05 yeast but I did have an old pack that’s been in a cupboard (cool, dark, dry). Its use by date is next month.
Made 1.2l starter with 120g spray malt and the contents of a yeast nutrient capsule. It went in to a clip lock Tupperware (the seal is not airtight unfortunately).

There’s not much in the way of life by the looks of it.

I’ll have to hope my local shop has some.

I’ll have to assume it’s done properly. I ordered it crushed from Get Er Brewed.

I have none of these things asad1
Checklist is a great shout. I’ll compile based on Fireside’s brew day notes.

Thanks for all the advice
You’re all awesome

Don't worry about them, they're all "fine tuning" ingredients, not essential. For your yeast starter, what temperature are you keeping it to and are you giving it a swirl around occasionally? I've never made a starter so I can't be much help there but it may help with an answer from more knowledgable members. EDIT: The yeast should have some life in it, packs years out of date are often ok so long as they've been stored reasonably well.

I think it will benefit from being a little warmer, maybe stand it in some warmish water to gently get it a little higher. 24 deg C would be fine, iirc it's better even higher than that but 24 is a safe figure.

Latest posts

Back