Very low starting gravity ! I'm very puzzled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milesey

Reaction score
Morning everyone

I've just started a MJ brewers series Pale Ale off

1kg enhancer and 400g brewing sugar

Took a hydrometer reading and it's like 1030!!!

WTF ????

what's going on here !!

I'll put photo of hydrometer up

Cheers everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_112030037.jpg
    IMG_20210511_112030037.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 34
Okay time for the standard checklist

First up have double checked the calibration on your hydrometer it should be about 1.000 in 20°C water.

Secondly double check your worts temperature this can affect the reading, although seems unlikely given the size of the deviation.

Third by brew enhancer do you mean the MJ malt extract pouches or the dry brew enhancer typically 50/50 mix of DME and Gloucose.

Finally and to be honest with you the most likely scenario is to follow @NotSure and make sure everything is throughly mixed the malt extract can sink to the bottom given you a distorted reading.

Yes I gave it a right good mix , temperature I don't know but whole process took like 20 minutes , so couldn't have got very cold nor too warm 🤔

Okay time for the standard checklist

First up have double checked the calibration on your hydrometer it should be about 1.000 in 20°C water.

Secondly double check your worts temperature this can affect the reading, although seems unlikely given the size of the deviation.

Third by brew enhancer do you mean the MJ malt extract pouches or the dry brew enhancer typically 50/50 mix of DME and Gloucose.

Finally and to be honest with you the most likely scenario is to follow @NotSure and make sure everything is throughly mixed the malt extract can sink to the bottom given you a distorted reading.

50/50 dMe and gloucose

Do you think I should go and give it a good stir up and take another reading ?

And I'll check the hydrometer

Thank you

Hydrometer is ok by looks of it

Only thing I can think of is , on this occasion I did dump all fermentables in at once then added the boiling water on top , but I did give it a thorough mix

Maybe I need to give it a rate good stir up , will the yeast still work ok ? I always just pitch straight on top an don't mix in

50/50 dMe and gloucose

Do you think I should go and give it a good stir up and take another reading ?

And I'll check the hydrometer

Thank you
Assuming the yeast was only added recently I reckon you should be fine to give it a stir with a sanitised spoon of course.

Latest posts

Back